Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a normal ppm FC drop in a pool with my readings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Western Connecticut

What is a normal ppm FC drop in a pool with my readings?

Hi. Yesterday my FC was at 10 ppm (my CYA is high at 90). CC is zero. The CYA/FC chart on this site said to keep my FC at 10. I've been doing so with liquid bleach ($2.97 for 121 oz. of 8.25% at Walmart!).

Today, I tested again. FC was a 9 ppm. CC is zero. Therefore, in one day, I lost 1 ppm.

Is this a "normal" FC drop from one day to the next? Also, I am new to all of this, so is the FC just naturally "burning off", or is there some organism eating the FC (don't laugh, please).

32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: What is a normal ppm FC drop in a pool with my readings?

Yes, you can easily expect to lose 1-2ppm a day to the sun, even with your high CYA.

If you are unsure if there is something in the water consuming your FC, you can perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test--> Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

That sounds like a great amount to lose to me! I'm losing over 3.5 ppm a day here south of Dallas. Remember, even in a perfectly clean pool with no swimmers, FC will be burned off by the sun (on cloudy days too.) So it sounds like you're doing fine to me.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sherman, Texas

i usually have to add half of a gallon of liquid chlorine 10.25% every other day to my pool. we are having over 100 degrees days for the last 6 days straight here by the red river. i even half to add about 2-3 inches of water every 3-4 days. the sun and heat just eating it all up.
    Pro Series 14' X 42"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Omaha, NE

My chlorine loss is about 3ppm/day with CYA ~30+.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52" (first fill: early June 2016)
    Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level), Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir
    installation pics (2015-2016)