Need socks for extra large skimmer

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I have what must be an extra large skimmer basket. The outer edge of the top rim is 9.5". Skimmer socks I've bought at the pool store don't even come close to stretching across. Does anyone know of an extra large sock that I can get online?

I've also seen posts from people who are using nylon stockings. My wife says I'll never find a stocking with a leg opening that big, but that pantyhose might work. If I use that, what do I do with the legs? Can I cut them off and tie up the opening?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I use them all the time. No issues. But my skimmers are the normal size. I do use my skimmer socks for chems that need to be hung into the water.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should be able to use the hairnets in a larger skimmer. They have lots of stretch.

I checked out the link on Yippee Skippy's post and they're 11" wide, so it looks like they'll fit. Even though they seem to be marketed for hospitals and chemical labs, most of the customer reviews I read were from people using them on pool skimmers, so I guess that's a good sign! I ordered them and they'll be here on Monday. I'll post a follow-up then and let you know how well they work.

The paint strainers work well, but hair nets have the advantage of being disposable and straining finer. If the standard hairnets don't fit, there are larger ones. Look for extra large or bouffant ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.