Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need socks for extra large skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Need socks for extra large skimmer

I have what must be an extra large skimmer basket. The outer edge of the top rim is 9.5". Skimmer socks I've bought at the pool store don't even come close to stretching across. Does anyone know of an extra large sock that I can get online?

I've also seen posts from people who are using nylon stockings. My wife says I'll never find a stocking with a leg opening that big, but that pantyhose might work. If I use that, what do I do with the legs? Can I cut them off and tie up the opening?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need socks for extra large skimmer

I wonder if the disposable hair nets that folks have been buying on Amazon might not be a better fit?

Just showing this the pic-there are cheaper ones on Amazon. 3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Yippie Skippie – great to hear from you! I think I'll give the hair nets a try.

Has anybody out there had success with them?
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use them all the time. No issues. But my skimmers are the normal size. I do use my skimmer socks for chems that need to be hung into the water.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should be able to use the hairnets in a larger skimmer. They have lots of stretch.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

I checked out the link on Yippee Skippy's post and they're 11" wide, so it looks like they'll fit. Even though they seem to be marketed for hospitals and chemical labs, most of the customer reviews I read were from people using them on pool skimmers, so I guess that's a good sign! I ordered them and they'll be here on Monday. I'll post a follow-up then and let you know how well they work.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I found a big strainer sock at my local Ace hardware. It's intended to go on a 5-gal bucket so it should be big enough if the hairnet doesn't do the trick for you.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks pabeader! Apparently I'll know by tomorrow afternoon.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    I found a big strainer sock at my local Ace hardware. It's intended to go on a 5-gal bucket so it should be big enough if the hairnet doesn't do the trick for you.
    Paint strainer sock? Never thought about it, but one of those would work pretty well.
    33' Round AGP (28k-ish gallons)
    1.5HP pump w/Hayward VarifloXL/SwimPro Sand Filter
    K2006

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The paint strainers work well, but hair nets have the advantage of being disposable and straining finer. If the standard hairnets don't fit, there are larger ones. Look for extra large or bouffant ones.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The hair nets are the way to go, IMO anyway!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner