We recently bought a house with an in-ground pool, about 13,000 gallons. After some issues. I discovered the CYA is high and I wasn't keeping the FC high enough for it. It is right around 100 now. I only use bleach or liquid chlorine now and keep it around 8-13 per the pool calculator app. Everything has been great, but we will be going out of town for a few days. We live in Alabama and the pool gets lots of sun. It tends to lose about 6ppm chlorine every day so I'm adding 1/2 to 1 jug of 8.25% bleach daily. Is it ok to high shock before leaving? Shock level is 25, so it'd all be gone in about 4 days and below the ideal level in 3. High shock is listed at 54. I'm just not sure if there are other issues from raising it that high. Would it be better to use the pucks in the feeder while we are gone even though it will raise the CYA more? CH is low, but are there any delayed release clorinators that just add calcium and not stabilizer?
It's a lot of chlorine loss daily, but we typically have 4 kids and 1-2 adults swimming every evening. We also tend to have hit/miss afternoon showers daily. All this makes me wonder if I really can predict the loss while we are gone.
We have a variable speed pump that runs 24/7 if that matters.
CH-50 (vinyl pool)