Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High alkalinity in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

High alkalinity in pool

I have a 10 x 30 Intex easy set pool 1019 gallons. I've been testing my water daily with the hth 3 way liquid test kit for chlorine and ph. My ph was slowly dropping so I used my hth test strips to test everything, specifically TA. It was hardly registering 80 so I used the pool calculater to see how much baking soda to put in to bring it up to about 110. Well the next day I tested again, first with my liquid drops to get my ph and it is spot on. I then used my strips and it was still showing the same results. I wasn't believing it so before doing anything else I went and bought the hth 6 way liquid test kit. I tested my TA again and it is now 170. It's been like this for 2 days now but my ph is staying stable. So I'm thinking my test strips are bad and my TA was probly fine to begin with. So my question is do I need to lower my TA or can I leave it as long as my PH is staying stable? If it does need to be lowered, I'm not really interested in adding more chimicales if I don't have to since it is such a small pool, so would doing a partial drain and refill help?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High alkalinity in pool

Welcome to TFP.

TA is the very last thing we worry about, and then only if the pH is unmanageable.

Throw the test strips away. They are generally worthless.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

So it's ok since the ph is staying at good levels?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, if PH isn't rising too much then it is fine to leave it. If PH rises too much you can lower TA to help slow pH rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much!!