Taylor K2006 kit TAC and Salt question

tamsd

Jul 29, 2016
Sacramento
I just got my Taylor K2006 kit about 2 weeks ago. When testing the chlorine level this morning, my water sample turned pink after adding the R-0870 at first. I tested the FAC (2.8). Then, added the 5 drops of R-0003 and it did not turn pink. It was not completely clear, but it was by no means pink. What do I do at this point? This has not happened to me before.

Secondly, my salt level is high (4600). How do I know how much water to drain?

Here are all my testing results:
FAC 2.8
TAC ???
Salt 4600
TA 130
Cyn 90
CH 320
ph 7.8

Thanks!

I just got my Taylor K2006 kit about 2 weeks ago. When testing the chlorine level this morning, my water sample turned pink after adding the R-0870 at first. I tested the FAC (2.8). Then, added the 5 drops of R-0003 and it did not turn pink. It was not completely clear, but it was by no means pink. What do I do at this point? This has not happened to me before.

Secondly, my salt level is high (4600). How do I know how much water to drain?

Here are all my testing results:
FAC 2.8
TAC ???
Salt 4600
TA 130
Cyn 90
CH 320
ph 7.8

Thanks!

you added R-0871 after R-0870 to measure FC=2.8, correct?
it looks like you don't have Combined Chlorine (CC = 0) which is a good thing but your FC level 2.8 is too low for CYA = 90 / SWG. Your target should be at least 6 according to: The Chart
your salt is too high - is it supposed to be there or it's a test / testing error? I mean salt just doesn't jump on its own so if it was normal and then 'jumped' I'd retest it.
If you determine you need to lower it: enter your pool data into Pool Math with your current salt level 4600 and Target level of where you'd like it to be and it will show you on the right how much water you need to replace.

Yes, about the R-0871 after R-0870.
Salt level - No, it should be 3000-3500. 2 weeks ago, we were instructed by a pool guy to add a bag of salt because he tested it at 2400. I believe he had a testing error, but did not want question his instructions and he tested it twice - he knows way more about pools than I. Since adding the bag of salt 2 weeks ago, I have tested the salt level 3 times - all ranging from 4200-4600. I should of listened to my gut and not added the salt. Our SWG has ran for 2 weeks without problem but this morning it had a high salt level code. Thank you for the pool math calculator. It was helpful.

How many days after I add the new water will it take for all the other numbers to be accurate? I don't want to start adding more chemicals until the salt and CYA levels are balanced with the additional of the fresh water.

Thanks Max2K

... I believe he had a testing error, but did not want question his instructions and he tested it twice - he knows way more about pools than I...
I doubt it- he has an attitude, not knowledge :)

I'm pretty much sure your understanding of what happened is correct as it also correlates with your SWG warning but before you start moving water around- what test did you use to test for salt? K2006 kit does not include one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.