Movie screen fountain

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I had this idea to do outdoor movies in our pool. I want to build a diy fountain that creates a screen to project the movie onto.

It seems like this would be relatively simple to do with pvc, but I don't want to experiment to figure it out. Does anyone know the hole pattern I would have to put in a piece of pvc pipe to create a wall of mist that would act like a screen?

Thanks guys.

That's outside the box for sure! I'm thinking a sheer descent though?

How about some of that misting tubing you see folks use around the edge of a patio cover to cool things down?

Haha! That went off the rails quickly...

If you can get a flat spray that's aerated enough so that the droplets turn white, it'll act just like a movie screen. I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with the fountain route (which would create a really, really cool effect) or just make a big portable screen.

Haha! That went off the rails quickly...

If you can get a flat spray that's aerated enough so that the droplets turn white, it'll act just like a movie screen. I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with the fountain route (which would create a really, really cool effect) or just make a big portable screen.

I see the problem from physics side of things- free falling water inevitably increases speed due to gravity and then continuous flow of water gets broken into drops at the bottom as water keeps overall flow at the same level as at the top but the speed is significantly increased. Those drops will scatter projector light all over the place because they have spherical shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see the problem from physics side of things- free falling water inevitably increases speed due to gravity and then continuous flow of water gets broken into drops at the bottom as water keeps overall flow at the same level as at the top but the speed is significantly increased. Those drops will scatter projector light all over the place because they have spherical shape.
I came to the conclusion that this problem was insurmountable given the time and money I wanted to spend.

Instead, I bought a kit from a company in Arizona and put a standing screen together.

It's way overkill, but that's what makes it fun.

I'll post a couple of pictures after we get it upright a little later on.

After solving a few engineering issues, we got us a backyard theater!!

34240111263_b86051d4eb_b.jpg

The top crossbar is about 20 feet off the ground. and the whole thing is 20 feet wide.

35010340286_62a3062dab_b.jpg

My camera sucks in the dark, so apologies for the terrible second picture. The viewable area is 20 feet wide and about 12 feet tall. I've got a few more placement tweaks to do, but the movie will end up being on the very top of the screen to people can either be in the pool and not blocking it, or people can sit on the deck and see it over the railings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.