Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preferred source of Calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate

1. Back To Top    #1

Preferred source of Calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate

Last week I replaced about 40% of my water in order to reduce the CYA, which was up near 100.

Checking my water yesterday revealed CH of 210, which is low.

Is there a preference of liquid vs powder and is there a preference for calcium chloride vs calcium chloride dehydrate?

Thanks
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preferred source of Calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate

Any is fine. More here on pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is what I bought from Amazon. Amazon.com : North American Salt 50850 Extreme 7300 Calcium Chloride Ice Melter, 50-Pound : Snow And Ice Melting Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Hard enough to find deicer in the winter down here, impossible in the summer!

Of course, Amazon sent me fertilizer, so I had to send it back! They got it right the 2nd time.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Here is what I bought from Amazon. Amazon.com : North American Salt 50850 Extreme 7300 Calcium Chloride Ice Melter, 50-Pound : Snow And Ice Melting Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Hard enough to find deicer in the winter down here, impossible in the summer!

Of course, Amazon sent me fertilizer, so I had to send it back! They got it right the 2nd time.
    I will have the same problem around here. It is a seasonal product. I may still have some left over fro winters past, as I didn't realize we were talking about ice melt.
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Check the ingredients to make sure it's all Calcium Chloride. I believe this one is 100% (I'm too lazy to go check the bag in the garage!).
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought the same stuff as Marlahoutex from Amazon on July 24 and it was only $23.54 for the 50 lb bag. No idea why Amazon literally doubled the price but you might want to wait a bit to see if it drops. It is pure calcium chloride and it worked great to raise my CH level (dissolved in 5-gal bucket of pool water and poured in front of a deep end return).
    18x34 IG 23k gal, colored plaster, Pentair equip: IntelliFlow VS pump, C&C+ 520 cartridge filter, EasyTouch control panel with QuickTouch II remote, The Pool Cleaner sweep, two Globrite LEDs, TF-100/Speedstir, 12mil clear solar cover. Startup 11/14/15