First Time Pool Owner-Exercising some POP

KW1981

Aug 2, 2016
Tipton Co, TN
Finally got my test kit in last night. 5:45AM test results were:

FC 31 (courtesy of 5 gallons of 10% dumped yesterday at 4pm)
CC 1.0 (something is alive...incredibly)
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 50
CYA <30(water cloudy in test but not enough that the dot disappears)

A bit of backstory, I got this pool with the house. It is 10-15 years old. The pump was shot and they hadn't opened it in a few years. Figured we should try it before just calling the scrap man for it. After realizing we weren't making much headway with leaf rakes, we drained almost completely to find about two solid feet(!!!!!) of rotting leaves, frogs and at least one unfortunate squirrel. Scooped, dumped, cleaned, scrubbed. It was full again by last Sunday. Cloudy with some brownish dust from the fines we couldn't remove around the bottom but mostly blue again. I was treating with about a gallon or so of 10% bleach twice a day while dissolving a tube sock of 100% CYA(about 2lbs.) to try to help keep the chlorine from cooking off. I also used 16oz of DiChlor with the evening gallon of 10% bleach, only because I had no CYA in there. I was trying to monitor what I could with Aquachek 7-in-1 strips until my real kit arrived but apparently that thing was well off. We had some rain and a solid week of near 100 heat since and on Thursday, the water had turned this sort of yellow-green color. Take some in a white cup and it's yellow. Said heck with it, dropped 5 gallons of 10% bleach in there last night. No improvement this morning. (the stairs were not in the pool until yesterday. We scrubbed them in 10% bleach, inside and out and soaked the gravel in the weights before putting them in.)

IMG_20160806_065528.jpg

I've been running the new pump 24/7 with no improvement to clarity at all since refill. I've also vacuumed to waste, trying to get rid of more of the little dirt/leaf bits we couldn't grab when we cleaned it out. I tried a little DE, but it blew back out of the return. Last night, I stuck a skimmer sock on there only to find orange-brown sludge on it this morning. It nearly all rinsed off which makes me wonder if it is leaf tannins or dead algae from the bits as opposed to some random iron I have precipitated out of solution. The only other stained spot is the skimmer frame below the water level. It's old, so I don't know if that just happens with time or was due to the mounds of decaying leaves in there. (We have black walnuts near the pool BTW)

Questions:

Obviously my FC is really high. Should I let it drift down to shock level for 20-30CYA and try to maintain that?

How in the world can anything still be alive in there after 12 hours at 30+ FC level?

Should I keep working to get CYA up to about 30?

Is it normal for a sand filter to take a long time to clear water, or send DE back out into the pool like mine did? I've backwashed a few times for 5-6 minutes a go, then rinsed for a few minutes afterward in the even the sand was channeled. Didn't help.

Iron or tannins/dead floaty stuff? How can you readily tell?

Welcome to TFP :)

Sounds like your filter needs a good deep cleaning.. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

yes let your FC drift down and also get your CYA to 30.. with CYA at 30 your FC for the SLAM is 12... after your deep clean you should see a big difference in filtering out stuff :)

Welcome to TFP! Swamp remediation is our specialty!

Are you on a well? The yellow tinge may very likely be from chlorine hitting dissolved iron...which is another can of worms. Certainly not insurmountable, but it needs to be addressed before further staining.

You need more POP.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then read the SLAM article and start to follow that SLAM to the T.

You will find that clearing your pool is a process....not a one time dump of chlorine.

Thanks!

I'll be getting to that this weekend. Hopefully that will help it hold a bit of DE to catch more of the crud the skimmer sock is currently catching.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP! Swamp remediation is our specialty!

Are you on a well? The yellow tinge may very likely be from chlorine hitting dissolved iron...which is another can of worms. Certainly not insurmountable, but it needs to be addressed before further staining.

No well here. I'm on utility water. Virtually undetectable iron in their water according to their yearly report. I have no staining on anything in the house, and the water was blue Mon-Wed. When it rained heavy Thursday it started turning yellow-green. It's been this way ever since.

You need more POP.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then read the SLAM article and start to follow that SLAM to the T.

You will find that clearing your pool is a process....not a one time dump of chlorine.

That dump ended up being a hail mary moment after the refilled water went from blue to the yellow-green this week. With no CYA and our sunny heat, the junk OTO test would go from maxed out to 0.5ppm TC in about three hours time. I've been lurking the site for a bit now and just got my real testing kit so I can finally get on a program with it.

I do have concerns with the filter. If, after the deep clean is performed, it still ejects added DE from the return jet, is that indicative of another problem? It will also dump to waste in the waste setting whether the pump is on or not. Is that normal?

Last night after sunset I got 20.5 FC and 0.5CC. 6am this morning I got 19.5FC and 0.5CC. Both combined tests barely turned the faintest of pink with one drop of the 0871 solution turning it colorless again. Sun's finally out so I'm going to check it again in about an hour to make sure I don't dip under my shock level. (EDIT: 1:30pm reading was 16FC, 0.0CC.)

However, I've got something odd going on. There's some orange-ish stuff coming up to the top of the water. It's not slippery, doesn't have a distinct "feeling" at all in hand. I've been skimming it off and just got an 8-pk of queen size knee high hose from the dollar store for the skimmer basket. I can finally see the bottom enough to get the last sticks and sweetgums out with all this weird orange stuff coming up. Looks like this is what is causing the water to appear green. It's stirred up a bit in this photo, but it was far more blue before I started skimming it. That sock is a bit more CYA since I'm still under 30.

Anyone seen this orange dusty stuff before? There's some still on the floor of the pool in the divots and dips and it looks a bit like sand. When you stir it up, it plumes up orange-ish. Might this be mustard algae or is this some half-dissolved leaf crud?

IMG_20160807_123335.jpg

I second that you need to deep clean your filter. I am thinking that cleaning will resolve your issues but while you do have the filter open have a look to see if anything is obviously broken or split or off centered. If it is broken it is a broken lateral or stand pipe very simple to fix

No idea on the orange stuff, hopefully someone will chime in on that soon or if not when we get the sand filter cleaned it will probably clear it

I second that you need to deep clean your filter. I am thinking that cleaning will resolve your issues but while you do have the filter open have a look to see if anything is obviously broken or split or off centered. If it is broken it is a broken lateral or stand pipe very simple to fix

No idea on the orange stuff, hopefully someone will chime in on that soon or if not when we get the sand filter cleaned it will probably clear it

I'd open / examine filter ASAP and would keep your FC at shock level 12 for at least one more day.

As it turns out, the filter was low on sand. This thing was installed 10-15 years ago by the original owners and it kind of looks like they never took the multiport off. It took almost 50 pounds of sand to get the level up to the point recommended by Hayward for the filter. Some crud came out while washing but it honestly wasn't as gross as I was expecting. I don't know if they just never filled it to the proper level or if a decade or more of backwashing washed that much sand out. After deep cleaning, adding a bit of new sand and backwashing/rinsing, the thing did a pretty decent job of clearing out. We also got some of those disposable hairnets and skimmed as much out as we could. By Friday, we were swimming. I still cannot add DE to it without it blowing back into the pool. I imagine something is broken in there and intend to investigate once the pool is closed in a few weeks. The eyeball jet nozzle is broken and the skimmer weir is missing so that is also on my list. This picture was the second to last vacuuming. It got even clearer than this by Friday night.

0160812_082427.jpg

Still don't know that that orange-red stuff was but we got some rain/leaf debris Sunday with a passing storm and there was some back in the pool again. I am surrounded by woods, corn and beans right now and I do wonder if it is pollen/organic material as opposed to one of the algae varieties. This picture is from Friday morning. Those floaters have knee-high stockings with CYA granules in them. They seem to camp out in the skimmer door so they're getting good water flow. Better than across the pool tied off to the steps.

Thanks to everyone on TFP for their help and advice. I've learned a ridiculous amount so far and I'm looking forward to pool opening next year being a fairly painless process...compared to the sludgefest I started with this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.