Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Interpreting Test Results - What to do next

1. Back To Top    #1

Interpreting Test Results - What to do next

Hey guys - Just finished testing my pool with the TF-100 kit and got the below results. Was hoping I can get some help in interpreting the results and see what needs to be done next. I know the chlorine needs to be bumped up but it seems like the other results are lower than normal as well. Appreciate any help!

TC - 0.5
    CH - 150
    Alk - 60
    PH 7.2
    CYA - 50 (did this twice and was around the 50 mark both times)
    14 x 28 rectangle vinyl inground pool, ~14k gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Interpreting Test Results - What to do next

First things first, use pool math to bump your chlorine. You need to ensure you are maintaining at the minimum target range daily for your vinyl pool.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Interpreting Test Results - What to do next

Quote Originally Posted by JG621 View Post
    Hey guys - Just finished testing my pool with the TF-100 kit and got the below results. Was hoping I can get some help in interpreting the results and see what needs to be done next. I know the chlorine needs to be bumped up but it seems like the other results are lower than normal as well. Appreciate any help!

TC - 0.5 CH - 150 Alk - 60 PH 7.2 CYA - 50 (did this twice and was around the 50 mark both times)
    Your CYA is at max (Please do not add any more stabilizer). The TA can be increased slightly to 70-80, but no more at this point. After this is increased, please check your PH on a daily basis with the Taylor K-1000 that came with the test kit. If the PH stays at 7.2, increase it to 7.4-7.5 and leave it there. With a TA of 70-80, your PH should stay relatively stable. Always check after the water has been mixing for a few hours as PH drops with pump off overnight (My experience). CH is fine in a vinyl pool. Also, increase your FC to the minimum of 4 daily and increase to 6 daily based on Pool Math.

Test as often as you feel it is needed and adjust chlorine accordingly. Considering you are in NJ, even with some use in the pool, you should not loose more than 2 ppm daily (my experience), although every pool is different. I test every week and skip a day or two of chlorine additions, if necessary. Daily, I check the presence of chlorine and the PH with the Taylor K-1000.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013