OCLT test

Was at 17 ppm last night and 15 this morning with a cya of 35. I didn't put any chlorine in the pool all day while I was gone because I wanted people to be able to swim tomorrow. Just tested it at 6:00PM and I get a reading of 10 ppm. Pool is crystal clear. I had an algae problem beginning of the week kept it at slam level for a few days (worked great) and now I'm getting nervous. Using non stabilized chlorine sticks in the skimmer basket all summer. Just put a couple in. Could I be in trouble? Don't like the Chlorine drop off.

Was at 17 ppm last night and 15 this morning with a cya of 35. I didn't put any chlorine in the pool all day while I was gone because I wanted people to be able to swim tomorrow. Just tested it at 6:00PM and I get a reading of 10 ppm. Pool is crystal clear. I had an algae problem beginning of the week kept it at slam level for a few days (worked great) and now I'm getting nervous. Using non stabilized chlorine sticks in the skimmer basket all summer. Just put a couple in. Could I be in trouble? Don't like the Chlorine drop off.
If you lost 2ppm of FC overnight then your SLAM is not complete. What was your CC level? A SLAM is not a one or two day event, shock level must be held until you pass all three criteria to complete the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

As far as I know, all forms of solid chlorine are stabilized, either with CYA (Trichlor/Dichlor) which is very common, or calcium, but that is usually in a granular form (cal-hypo).

Dom

Sorry but I don't know what calcium hypochlorite is. Is this product bad? BTW the store where I bought it says it can't be used in my Chlorinator only the skimmer. Been using it all summer to keep CYA level down. It's a stick that goes in solid and than gets thick gooy.

Calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) is chlorine stabilized with calcium, adding calcium to your pool with each use (around 0.7ppm of CH for every 1ppm of FC, depending on CH%).

What is your pool's current CH level?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was kidding! Hose them off first so they don't mess up your perfect pool. :)
Numbers are fine for swimming.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA so the pool is properly sanitized and safe to swim. Check, won't make them sick
FC is below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH Is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

As long as FC is above minimum for your CYA your pool is properly sanitized and you won't make people sick. :thumleft:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.