Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OCLT test

1. Back To Top    #1

OCLT test

Will the test be valid if the pool heater was left on all night?
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: OCLT test

should not be a problem
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That should not have an effect, as far as I know. As long as the pump was running at least30 minutes before you test, and you don't have any tablets or an SWG running, you should be good.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Was at 17 ppm last night and 15 this morning with a cya of 35. I didn't put any chlorine in the pool all day while I was gone because I wanted people to be able to swim tomorrow. Just tested it at 6:00PM and I get a reading of 10 ppm. Pool is crystal clear. I had an algae problem beginning of the week kept it at slam level for a few days (worked great) and now I'm getting nervous. Using non stabilized chlorine sticks in the skimmer basket all summer. Just put a couple in. Could I be in trouble? Don't like the Chlorine drop off.
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar477 View Post
    Was at 17 ppm last night and 15 this morning with a cya of 35. I didn't put any chlorine in the pool all day while I was gone because I wanted people to be able to swim tomorrow. Just tested it at 6:00PM and I get a reading of 10 ppm. Pool is crystal clear. I had an algae problem beginning of the week kept it at slam level for a few days (worked great) and now I'm getting nervous. Using non stabilized chlorine sticks in the skimmer basket all summer. Just put a couple in. Could I be in trouble? Don't like the Chlorine drop off.
    If you lost 2ppm of FC overnight then your SLAM is not complete. What was your CC level? A SLAM is not a one or two day event, shock level must be held until you pass all three criteria to complete the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

As far as I know, all forms of solid chlorine are stabilized, either with CYA (Trichlor/Dichlor) which is very common, or calcium, but that is usually in a granular form (cal-hypo).

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Dom,
    This is what I use. It says in their literature that it is unstablized. Look for the bucket with the Yellow top. Poolife.com
    poolife® Active Cleaning® Caplets Chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar477 View Post
    Dom,
    This is what I use. It says in their literature that it is unstablized. Look for the bucket with the Yellow top. Poolife.com
    poolife® Active Cleaning® Caplets Chlorinator

It says they are calcium hypochlorite on their website.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry but I don't know what calcium hypochlorite is. Is this product bad? BTW the store where I bought it says it can't be used in my Chlorinator only the skimmer. Been using it all summer to keep CYA level down. It's a stick that goes in solid and than gets thick gooy.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) is chlorine stabilized with calcium, adding calcium to your pool with each use (around 0.7ppm of CH for every 1ppm of FC, depending on CH%).

What is your pool's current CH level?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Just leaving house. Will check all Chemical levels when I get back.
    Thanks for help Dom.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are my numbers from test just now.
    PH-7.5
    FC-14
    cc-.5
    TC-14.5
    CH-275
    TA-70
    CYA- 30-35

Have 4 adults coming in an hour should I let them in my Pool? LOL Pool is cyrstal clear

12. Back To Top    #12

Hose em off first!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh boy I just don't want to make them sick.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ocsar they will be fine. CH will not hurt a person BUT it will lead to problems over time with your pool and heater.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Please look at this chart. As you can see you are getting close to the top for CH. Please also check your heater and see what it needs for CH and go from there.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I was kidding! Hose them off first so they don't mess up your perfect pool.
    Numbers are fine for swimming.

It is safe to swim when
    FC is above minimum for your CYA so the pool is properly sanitized and safe to swim. Check, won't make them sick
    FC is below shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart
    PH Is between 7.2 and 7.8
    Water is clear

As long as FC is above minimum for your CYA your pool is properly sanitized and you won't make people sick.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, people are running for the pool