LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re willing, please tell us how you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.)
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

Just copy and paste to answer (example below) and thank you for helping out if you can :)

Example answer:

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? (10 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (30 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out with two doses
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? 24/7 on low
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (84 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out with fourteen doses)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (7 hours per day at 2000 rpm/~40gpm)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (75 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out with three doses - 8am, 3pm, 6pm)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No)

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop-based, dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? 6 hours
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? 6 hours
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? Anytim pump is running
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? day
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) No

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Liquidator
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop-based, dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 9
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 9
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) when pump runs
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) no
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? no algae ever

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based,
3. What is your current pump run time? (8 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (50 minutes
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (all at once)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No I try to stay closer to 10%

Going on my third year with the stenner pump. Only maintance is replacing the pump tube every year.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Manual
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop-based every other day during hot weather, weekly in the winter
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) nightly 12hrs 10pm-10am at 800 rpm
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 3 minutes :)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? all at once when pump runs at max
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? late evening
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. I let it float between 8% and 10%, I dose no more often than once every other day, after the test.
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? no, small patches about 1" size in low circulation spots from time to time, easily brushed, overnight FC loss is 0.

3. What is your current pump run time? (5 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (22 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out with two doses
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No -I target 5 for CYA 40
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? NA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based)
3. What is your current pump run time? (9AM-9PM at 1100RPM, 2600RPM w/solar on)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (33 minutes/day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (noon, 3PM, 6PM)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No, 5-6 ppm FC)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? NA

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (custom peristaltic pump based)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (6 hrs)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (small doses every 15 min)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, 10am - 4pm)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (target 4 ppm FC @ 40 ppm CYA)

Interim results from 8 responses:
6 Stenners, 1 Liquidator, 1 custom peristaltic pump based
All so far dial it in based on drop-based testing
Pump run times from 5 to 24 hours, longer run times at lower RPMs
Injection times from 22 minutes to same as pump run time
Dosing spread out for 7 and 1 injects all at once
7 inject during the day, 1 injects both day and night
None use less than 7.5% FC/CYA ratio, comments received ranged 10% to 12%

Thanks again for responding. Hopefully we get a few more.

First time posting, been reading and using the method since we got our new pool/spa in April.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Pentair chlorine pump/tank)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (Intellichem sensor
3. What is your current pump run time? (7 hours per day, 6 pool/spillway, 1 spa, going to start reducing the time to save electricity)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (By volume, per sensor)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, 20 minute mix time between doses)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No, have intellichem set to 740 orp and keeps the FC around 5-6 with 50 cya)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? (n/a)

Been using the intellichem with chlorine and acid pump/tanks. Havent manually dosed chemicals in over 6 weeks. System seems to be working good. PH stays a constant 7.6. I test daily still with my K-2006.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner 45MPHP10)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (dial it in based on drop test.)
3. What is your current pump run time? (6 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (30 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, half time in the middle of the day, half at night.)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (both)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No, I try to keep as close to target as I can without going over that mark, though I often do as the result of a cloudy day and my Stenner pump's reliability)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? I haven't seen anything but the occasional CC in my drop based test all year long, and that only started recently. I need to pull my wedding cake stairs and check them for algae.

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (8 - [4 in am & 4 in pm])
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (38 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No, < than 1 month - still working on fine tuning)

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?)
Liquidator

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.)
Dial in based on drop testing.

3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)
around 7 hours a day

4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)
It's adding chlorine whenever the pump is running ( around 7 hours a day)

5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
Spread out over the entire duration of the pump run ( about 7 hours)

6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
Day between 11 am through 6 pm

7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)
No, I target around 5 ppm FC at 50 ppm CYA. I test after my pumping cycle has ended in the evening.

Well, I going to answer this anyway. This is my fourth season using the TFP method all with the Liquidator,. I never have had a algae outbreak nor have has to SLAM / shock my pool.

Last edited:
I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re willing, please tell us how you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) Dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 4 hours (2 hours day, 2 hours night)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 1.5 hours
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) Spread out, 45 during afternoon, 45 min during night
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) Both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) No. I aim for the target level, not the minimum.
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? NA since I don't go for minimum but this is 1st full year with pool and no algae thus far.

Just copy and paste to answer (example below) and thank you for helping out if you can :)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.