SURVEY - Liquid FC Dosing

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) STENNER
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) DIAL IN
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 5 1/2 HRS
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 50 MINUTES
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) SPREAD OUT
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) BOTH
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) NO
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Liquidator
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? 7 hours per day
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? 7 hours per day
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? spread out with two doses
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? morning and evening
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) Yes
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? No

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Sterner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? dialed in based on testing.
3. What is your current pump run time? 11 hrs
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine dozers? Same as pump.
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? Day
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. No. I keep fc at 7ppm with cya at 60 (I'm trying to work cya down over time)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? N/A

Keep those responses coming; this is going well. Thank you all :) Here's the example answer just to keep it handy on the 2nd page.

Example answer:

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Liquidator, Stenner, Other
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in or sensor based
3. What is your current pump run time? (10 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (30 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out with N doses
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, or both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No, and comments most welcome
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) STENNER
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) DIAL IT IN
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 12 HOURS
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 107 MINUTES
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) TWO DOSES 10AM AND 2PM
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) DAY
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) AIM FOR 7 PPM BASED ON CYA OF 70
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? NO

Any ideas on advertising this survey to get more data? All ideas most welcome! Thanks again :)

You could always PM Lee (leebo) to see if the site would allow you to advertise it for a short time. Maybe Lee would have some other ideas on how to help with that.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? (5 hours per day, 3 cycles)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (60 minutes per day total in the summer- that's about 60 oz)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (noon & 11:00 PM
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (5ppm FC / 50 ppm CYA
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? no algae after 22 months

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Chemtrol with stenner pumps)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (sensor - ppm & orp)
3. What is your current pump run time? (24 hrs)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (Difficult to say, proportional control, so as it nears set point, pump runs briefly at low duty cycle)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (Spread out)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (both)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) variable, cya tends to drop during the season
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? no algae

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) dial in based on drop test testing and historical daily FC loss
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 7
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 50
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) day
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) no
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? N/a

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?)
Stenner

2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.)
Drop Based.

3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)
24/7

4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)
150 minutes

5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
3 cycles of 50 minutes

6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
Day 5:00am to 5:50am - 10:00am to 10:50am - 3:00pm to 3:50pm

7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)
About? I target around 4 ppm FC at 50 ppm CYA.

No.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, and dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (6.5 hrs @1200 RPM, 30min 2000 RPM with polaris booster)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (36 min per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, 75% of dose at 9:00 PM and the rest at 11:00AM if I need to adjust I alter the 11:00AM dose up or down)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (both)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No but I stay near the bottom 1/3 of the sugested range)

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?)
Liquidator
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.)
drop-based
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)
8 hrs
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)
8 hrs
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
day
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)
No, I tend to stay closer to 4 ppm, but ideally would like it to be higher.
Yes...sort of...I get spots, but not a full outbreak.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Stenner 40GPD
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop-based and dial it in.
3. What is your current pump run time? 4 hours per day
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? 17 minutes
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? all at once
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? night
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. No
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum. Do not use lower minimum.

I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re willing, please tell us how you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Liquidator
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? ( No dial in with a pinch valve)
3. What is your current pump run time? (10hrs)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (10hrs)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out) I feel that constant dosing is the way to go
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (No I follow the chart for CYA vs Chlorine and keep at the higher end Goal level)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? I have had occasions were I came back from vacation and FC was close to zero, manually dosed and brought levels back up with no issues, no algea, and no cc

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner 45MPHP10)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (4 hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (70 minutes per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (all at once)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes, but measured at the end of a 24 hour cycle [before the dosing pump turns on again] @45 ppm CYA)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? (No, But have only been operational for a few months)

A couple of experiments not yet attempted include an hourly measure of free chlorine to see what the decay is on a 50F day versus a 110F day.
I'm getting the sense that I could control the dose within a preset range fairly accurately with water temperature and solar radiation data as inputs.

Last edited:
1. Liquidator
2. Strictly manual based on test results
3. About 10 hours, but it varies to maximize use of my solar heater.
4. Same as the pump
5. Over the entire run of the pump
6. Day
7. I tend to stay near the recommended level for my CYA.
8. Never have algae except at opening and if I forget to fill the liquidator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.