Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace water then add stabilizer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace water then add stabilizer?

Here are my test results today, and given what pool math suggested, I'm thinking I should replace the % of water before I add stabilizer.

FC - 0
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 150
    CH - 350
    CYA - 0

Poolmath says to replace 14% of the water to get the CH down and also says to add 150 oz of stabilizer. I'm on a community well, and since I already am at 0 for the CYA, I'm thinking the water replacement should come first. Then I should retest as I know my alkalinity will rise. Somewhere in there I will need to lower my PH, but not sure of the correct sequence to add the chemicals, given my numbers. Any help is much appreciated.
    28k gal, IG plaster, 1HP Pentair Superflow, Pentair Tagelus TA60 sand filter, solar blanket, Taylor K-2006 test kit, well water, 1992 build, 10 hrs of full sun

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Replace water then add stabilizer?

Welcome to TFP db100

Have you tested the well water out of the tap to see what the CH is ?? If it's close to 350 coming out of the well replacing the water isn't going to do much.
    I'd find out what the wells CH is and then either drain some water and add some chlorine or if it's high just add some chlorine to get an FC reading in there so you're not adding green water to the problem.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the suggestion. Tested the tap water and the CH came in at 325, pretty close to the pool water. I know I need stabilizer, but should I be adding that in 1st, and then the bleach?
    28k gal, IG plaster, 1HP Pentair Superflow, Pentair Tagelus TA60 sand filter, solar blanket, Taylor K-2006 test kit, well water, 1992 build, 10 hrs of full sun

4. Back To Top    #4

The order is not important. You can add chlorine first and then CYA 5 minutes later or vice versa.

It is important to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times to keep the pool sanitized and algae free, FC/CYA Chart

CH at 350 is ok. I don't think you have all the settings set up in PoolMath correctly if it is telling you to lower CH. Here are the Pool School - Recommended Levels

I would raise CYA to 40 ppm. Here is how to add CYA and other chems to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Looks like replacing water isn't going to make much of a difference, sorry.

Yup, I'd get some stabilizer in a sock and start to knead it to get it dissolved into the water a little quicker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much, I'll post my retest results after getting my cya up and rechecking pool math

7. Back To Top    #7

Db,

Once you get your pool water balanced you may want to consider a water softener. Your well water is very hard and will cause scale problems over time. Water Softener companies are a lot like pool stores... very conflicted. Check out Fleck water softeners... many online dealers. You can buy and install yourself for about 10% of the WS company price. It's easy to do. Let me know if you'd like more info on this.

Chris

-Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for. The info on the water softener. I actually have one in the home but have never used it. Given the condition of the home, I was worried that it would leak all,over the floor, or in the crawl space, as it was not hooked up when we purchased the house. It's probable worth having it looked at, since it is already plumbed, just not in use. Maybe they just ran out of salt and decided not to turn it on before they sold the house. We'll see. Thanks again