Skimmer Plugs

Jun 16, 2009
Any new products on the market for plugging skimmer? I have a autocover that I like to leave supported in snow load during winter. My observation is everyone I know who lowers water below skimmer ends up replacing cover in 5 years....I am hoping for double. I tried the simpooltech plug two years in a row, both times it failed over the winter, but my pool noodle and gizzmo saved me. I don't want to risk it again. Are there other options? I think the plug would work if had some type of traction pulling it into skimmer? Any new ideas?

I used the same exact skimmer plug and it also let water into the skimmer, I also had the gizzmo in and worked perfect... I have not seen anything else that would work..

I lowered my water level but did not use a cover and let snow, ice and dirt fill the pool over the winter, I got away with it because of being an above ground..

I would think there would be a real good market for someone who could figure out a skimmer plug that truly worked throughout the winter and allowed IG pools the ability to stay full throughout the winter.

Any new products on the market for plugging skimmer? I have a autocover that I like to leave supported in snow load during winter. My observation is everyone I know who lowers water below skimmer ends up replacing cover in 5 years....I am hoping for double. I tried the simpooltech plug two years in a row, both times it failed over the winter, but my pool noodle and gizzmo saved me. I don't want to risk it again. Are there other options? I think the plug would work if had some type of traction pulling it into skimmer? Any new ideas?

Last year we hard plumbed the lines and put in a disconnect to the skimmer and the discharge, left them open so excess water could drain out if the levels got too high. Also covered over the skimmer with the winter cover along with the pool. I can't remember using a plug, and have not used the skimmer winter cover gasket and plate for years. Have not had a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the same exact skimmer plug and it also let water into the skimmer, I also had the gizzmo in and worked perfect... I have not seen anything else that would work..

I lowered my water level but did not use a cover and let snow, ice and dirt fill the pool over the winter, I got away with it because of being an above ground..

Interesting concept cowboycasey. how does that work: does the water freeze to a solid block of ice in the winter? do you leave the skimmer open so higher water levels will drain out and not damage the skimmer window? is it a lot of work cleaning out the dirt and debris in the spring? Just curious. ;o)

Last year we hard plumbed the lines and put in a disconnect to the skimmer and the discharge, left them open so excess water could drain out if the levels got too high. Also covered over the skimmer with the winter cover along with the pool. I can't remember using a plug, and have not used the skimmer winter cover gasket and plate for years. Have not had a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting concept cowboycasey. how does that work: does the water freeze to a solid block of ice in the winter? do you leave the skimmer open so higher water levels will drain out and not damage the skimmer window? is it a lot of work cleaning out the dirt and debris in the spring? Just curious. ;o)

It worked great, last winter it only had about 1/2 inch of ice, nothing bad and ended up working great :) I do not think I am going to use the skimmer plug except to blow all the water out of the skimmer and install the gizzmo..

Here are some pics of the pipes I used for closing and then what it looked like when I opened.. The last shot was after a day of filtering

gpZuksjh.jpg

oFLAoTPh.jpg

aDjJtAAh.jpg

4FlzKU2h.jpg

GJ250Crh.jpg

rTG8B3Mh.jpg

gOojd2Gh.jpg

Lr6mOISh.jpg

N5CCcCzh.jpg

Our pool becomes a solid block of ice and we get a bunch of snow. The idea of using the "snow" water to fill the pool in the spring is very tempting. We do have a lot of trees and the leaves fill the cover in the fall. Still trying to figure out a way to work thru that one.

Thanks for the reply cowboycasey. Pool looks great. ;o) Do you use a manual vacuum? or auto sweeper like a Polaris?

I use "the poolcleaner" it is a little expensive and it does not scrub the liner and those are the only things that is bad about it... it works great and will clean my pool within a couple hours, it cleans as long as the pump is on and we never take it out, been running for 2 years now :)

mnHFJvP.jpg

We keep our auto cover open when we close and have a Loop-Loc winter cover. We drain the pool down about 2 ft when it is closed and it is full by mid spring from snow and rain. I couldn't see how using the auto cover in the winter would even work but hay is what I say :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.