Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To dive or not to dive!

1. Back To Top    #1

To dive or not to dive!

So I'm looking at having some of my concrete patio around the pool re-poured. The diving board will be a casualty. Should I have it replaced and/or reinstalled? I don't use it much and worry about the liability and safety issues. My insurance company allows it, and in fact I just got an umbrella policy approved. Do they add or subract from resale value? I hear there is a trend away from them on new builds. I won't really miss it.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To dive or not to dive!

I removed mine when I saw my daughter's idiot boyfriend get a running start across it and land halfway across the pool. You can preach safety until you're blue in the face, and someone is still gonna ignore it. We kept the slide, but the board's gone now.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

3. Back To Top    #3

The trend is away from diving boards. But if you like it and use it I'd keep it.

But the real reason I posted is to remind you whe you replace your deck replace the bonding wire , wires or grid.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Just did a new build and have 10' board (non spring). The board did not change the insurance pricing, but we do have an umbrella policy already. The grandkids love it, and grandma and grandpa enjoy it too. If misused, it could be dangerous, but so is jumping/diving into shallow end, but we have a shallow end; so is falling on the cement deck, but we have a that, ... We are very happy we added the board. Did not add slide, because I didn't want someone falling off onto deck if goofing around. So its a personal choice. Have had 3 pool parties so far, and there were lines at the board.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, yeah I would expect to run into grounding issues at the stairs. Might a board be grounded as well? So if I have a "grid", that would be throughout the deck?
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006