Speedstir question

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, I'm getting my speedstir as we speak. I see that it has lights that supposedly allows you to view results in less than ideal lighting. How accurate do you guys find viewing results in darker areas w/ the light on for the speedstir? I find myself having to do nighttime test a lot and it's not the greateast and I wonder if the light from the speedstir helps that much.

If it's dark, I find a bright white sheet of paper or paper plate behind the speed stir helps a bunch. But I rarely test in really dark conditions. That's more for just less than ideal where something in the background can skew how the color looks.

For some tests it won't matter.

Biggest one I have trouble with is whether or not the CC test turns pink at all.

I have tested in the dark for FC on the screened porch at night using the speed stir light. Once I went straight inside to rinse the water out and in the light of the house the water looked still pinkish. I know with time, it will turn pink again but I didn't think much time had lapsed in my 15-20 foot walk into the lighted household.

My conclusion was not to trust the speed stir light in the dark but either way it would have been within the margin of error for the test.

Take a styrofoam or plastic glass, hold it upside down about a foot under the surface and then turn it right side up and remove from the pool. This gives you a good sample.

Now, take that cup inside and sit someplace comfortable (kitchen counter, table, etc.) and perform your tests. I wouldn't do them outside day or night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only test that requires a bright sunny day is the CYA test, but I do find it easier to read the pH test with natural (eg sun) lighting.

Dom

Take a styrofoam or plastic glass, hold it upside down about a foot under the surface and then turn it right side up and remove from the pool. This gives you a good sample.

Now, take that cup inside and sit someplace comfortable (kitchen counter, table, etc.) and perform your tests. I wouldn't do them outside day or night.

What about CYA?

I'm sure Dave is referring to daily testing. I do all my daily tests at the kitchen table as well. I check CYA every 4-6 weeks, or after any major water exchange, and I do that one outside.

Dom

good point. Just took his advice, coffee and kitchen table!
all is good and I have convinced myself my CYA is 60 and I'm not a fan of the CYA control reagent as that might make me lean towards 70 :)

but considering I thought I was at 40 at the beginning of this year and nothing added that could raise it, 60 looks good to me.

FC 5 and bumped to 7 for the day with solar cover and possible swimming around 6pm....

love this site and process.

For ph, i find that a computer screen with a light or white background works best. . It provides a good back light. . For me being color blind, it is critical that lighting is good. . Some of the test and still fairly often with ph, i need a family member to help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.