Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Speedstir question

1. Back To Top    #1

Speedstir question

Hi, I'm getting my speedstir as we speak. I see that it has lights that supposedly allows you to view results in less than ideal lighting. How accurate do you guys find viewing results in darker areas w/ the light on for the speedstir? I find myself having to do nighttime test a lot and it's not the greateast and I wonder if the light from the speedstir helps that much.
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Speedstir question

Hi Mike,
    I believe the speedstir light helps quite a bit. I think you will too.

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I tend to take at night too and love the light.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's dark, I find a bright white sheet of paper or paper plate behind the speed stir helps a bunch. But I rarely test in really dark conditions. That's more for just less than ideal where something in the background can skew how the color looks.

For some tests it won't matter.

Biggest one I have trouble with is whether or not the CC test turns pink at all.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Are y'all testing outside?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am - with the exception of last night, too many mosquitos.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have tested in the dark for FC on the screened porch at night using the speed stir light. Once I went straight inside to rinse the water out and in the light of the house the water looked still pinkish. I know with time, it will turn pink again but I didn't think much time had lapsed in my 15-20 foot walk into the lighted household.

My conclusion was not to trust the speed stir light in the dark but either way it would have been within the margin of error for the test.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Are y'all testing outside?
    I never test outside. I go get my sample and do it on the kitchen counter!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Take a styrofoam or plastic glass, hold it upside down about a foot under the surface and then turn it right side up and remove from the pool. This gives you a good sample.

Now, take that cup inside and sit someplace comfortable (kitchen counter, table, etc.) and perform your tests. I wouldn't do them outside day or night.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I thought you were supposed to do pH in the sun.

VinDeeLoo

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The only test that requires a bright sunny day is the CYA test, but I do find it easier to read the pH test with natural (eg sun) lighting.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Take a styrofoam or plastic glass, hold it upside down about a foot under the surface and then turn it right side up and remove from the pool. This gives you a good sample.

Now, take that cup inside and sit someplace comfortable (kitchen counter, table, etc.) and perform your tests. I wouldn't do them outside day or night.
    What about CYA?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    What about CYA?
    I'm sure Dave is referring to daily testing. I do all my daily tests at the kitchen table as well. I check CYA every 4-6 weeks, or after any major water exchange, and I do that one outside.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I'm sure Dave is referring to daily testing. I do all my daily tests at the kitchen table as well. I check CYA every 4-6 weeks, or after any major water exchange, and I do that one outside.

Dom
    good point. Just took his advice, coffee and kitchen table!
    all is good and I have convinced myself my CYA is 60 and I'm not a fan of the CYA control reagent as that might make me lean towards 70

but considering I thought I was at 40 at the beginning of this year and nothing added that could raise it, 60 looks good to me.

FC 5 and bumped to 7 for the day with solar cover and possible swimming around 6pm....

love this site and process.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

15. Back To Top    #15

I find that house lighting makes it difficult on testing for pH and TA. I try to hold up a white sheet of paper, but even then it's a bit difficult since my indoor lighting is soft.
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

For ph, i find that a computer screen with a light or white background works best. . It provides a good back light. . For me being color blind, it is critical that lighting is good. . Some of the test and still fairly often with ph, i need a family member to help
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator