Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st full test in a while.

1. Back To Top    #1

1st full test in a while.

I haven't done a full test in quite awhile as I have been adding 42 0z of 12.5% chlorine every morning and approx 25 oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. This morning I saw some bloom on the surface of the pool cleaner,. I was going to to a complete test but it started raining. until now. Here are the results:

FC 4
    CC.5
    CH 400
    TA 120
    CYA 40
    PH 8.5+

The water is clear but a vacuum is needed after the rain.

I'm wondering if I could get by with getting the PH adjusted and then shocking the pool. Pool math says to raise the FC level to 16 to shock or would a slam be better? The problem with slamming is that I don't have enough R0871 and R 0870 to slam. I will be ordering today but they won't get here until the middle of next week..

I'll back wash the filter and let the water run down to the skimmer and then refill it. Hopefully this will reduce the CH to a lower level..
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st full test in a while.

I would think lower the pH and do an OCLT.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How did you measure 8.5+ on pH?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by az240z View Post
    I haven't done a full test in quite awhile as I have been adding 42 0z of 12.5% chlorine every morning and approx 25 oz of muriatic acid every 4 days. This morning I saw some bloom on the surface of the pool cleaner,. I was going to to a complete test but it started raining. until now. Here are the results:

FC 4
    CC.5
    CH 400
    TA 120
    CYA 40
    PH 8.5+

The water is clear but a vacuum is needed after the rain.

I'm wondering if I could get by with getting the PH adjusted and then shocking the pool. Pool math says to raise the FC level to 16 to shock or would a slam be better? The problem with slamming is that I don't have enough R0871 and R 0870 to slam. I will be ordering today but they won't get here until the middle of next week..

I'll back wash the filter and let the water run down to the skimmer and then refill it. Hopefully this will reduce the CH to a lower level..
    I think your pool is fine to swim in- just bump FC up by 2 ppm for now and order refills. Small algae patches are not end of the world, just brush them off. You can start your SLAM after refills arrive, I don't think you're in the imminent danger. I'd bring pH down, seems to be out of range so you don't really know how high it is unless you used some other test for it. I don't think TFP recommends shocking- it seems to be efficient that level needs to be maintained for days so the 'shock' becomes SLAM.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The Ph was an estimation. Lowering the pool now and then will adjust the PH. Once that's done I'll raise the Fc to 16 and do the OCLT.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

With those numbers calcium scale is nearly a certainty. PoolMath twill give you a CSI number. Adjust PH and TA to keep that number between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I got the PH down to 7.2 and raised the FC to what I thought was 6. This morning I checked and the FC was 8 but the oh rose to 8.2. What causes ph to rise overnight??

As far as the CF difference i can only guess that after adding the chlorine I didn't let it mix long enough to get a correct reading.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you get rain or do you have a water feature? Those both cause aeration and will raise your pH.

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

9. Back To Top    #9

No rain.. no water feature.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Are your returns pointed up so the surface of the water moves?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes they are.. Its 8:00am and after adding acid ph is down 7.5..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Turn you returns down. You are aerating with them up.

VinDeeLoo

13. Back To Top    #13

I believe that will also aerate your water causing the pH to rise.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

14. Back To Top    #14

I did a check of the PH at 4:30 this afternoon. Air Temp is 105.. PH was stable at 7.5 CF is at 4.5. The pump has been off. As far as the returns, they were facing up slightly, causing ripples in the water. I turned them down, hopefully that is whats causing my PH increase overnight. Additionally is a reduction of 3.5 CF, over an 8 hr period, normal? Also, if I'm losing that much CF during the day than their can't be much left when I add chlorine in the morning.

I'm thinking that I should do my chlorine add at night, hopefully it would then last 24hrs..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

........ As far as the CF difference i can only guess that after adding the chlorine I didn't let it mix long enough to get a correct reading.

I did a check of the PH at 4:30 this afternoon. Air Temp is 105.. PH was stable at 7.5 CF is at 4.5. The pump has been off. As far as the returns, they were facing up slightly, causing ripples in the water. I turned them down, hopefully that is whats causing my PH increase overnight. Additionally is a reduction of 3.5 CF, over an 8 hr period, normal? Also, if I'm losing that much CF during the day than their can't be much left when I add chlorine in the morning.

I'm thinking that I should do my chlorine add at night, hopefully it would then last 24hrs..
    What is this "CF" that you keep referring to?

Dom
    Last edited by domct203; 08-07-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry Dom I meant FC. So after running the pump all night the PH rose to 8.2. FC was at 10 so no loss of FC overnight.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

17. Back To Top    #17

With you FC at 10 your pH is probably not accurate. High FC messes with pH readings. I always add my FC at night since heat and sun eats chlorine and (if needed) you do an OCLT. A loss of 3.5 is not un-normal with your heat and sun - and swimmer use.

VinDeeLoo

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Sorry Dom I meant FC. So after running the pump all night the PH rose to 8.2. FC was at 10 so no loss of FC overnight.
    Your high TA is what is most likely driving up your pH. As mentioned, your CSI is dangerously positive at your current levels (0.95 at 84F, higher if the water is warmer), and really needs to be addressed. Lowering both pH & TA will address this.

I think the moral to this story is that frequent testing is what prevents these situations.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Its 4:00 pm. Air temp is 106. Got the following readings: FC 7.5 PH 7.5 TA 90, Ch 450. Tap water ch is 185..

Pool math says to add 28 oz of acid to lower ph to 7.0. This should lower the csi from -0.21 to -0.04..

Just a note, I added approx 25 oz of acid this morning and lowered the ph to 7.2..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

20. Back To Top    #20

10:00 pm test FC 7.5
    PH 7.2
    CH 375
    TA 90

The csi says I'm at -0.04 and the target should be -0.24. How do I get to the -0.24

- - - Updated - - -

10:00 pm test FC 7.5
    PH 7.2
    CH 375
    TA 90

The csi says I'm at -0.04.
    TF100 w SpeedStir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast