Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM and TA

Thanks everyone for your help getting me through a SLAM process, it seems that everything is clearing up nicely.

I do have one questions. Before I started my SLAM, my PH was 7.4 and my TA was 100. I know that when FC is really high that PH measurements are not accurate.

Is this the same for TA? Because I tested my TA today while the FC was at 15 and TA registered 180. (PH measured 7.8-7.9)

The only thing I have added to my pool in the last week was 8.25% chlorine bleach.
    18k gal IG Vinyl, 1hp Challenger Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM and TA

No, its just the pH test that isn't accurate.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

What would cause the TA to almost double when I have done nothing else except add bleach for a week?

4. Back To Top    #4

Two options. Somebody snuck in your yard and added some baking soda or testing error. Did you wipe the tip of the bottle on a damp cloth while testing? Not doing that can result in a falsely high result.

That is included in the instructions on the TF-100 which uses Taylor reagents but sometimes not in the K-2006

More detailed instructions here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I did not wipe the tip of the bottle. I read that in the instructions but didn't really understand why I would need to do that. I will retest tomorrow

Previously I was using the K-2006 test outside next to the pool when I got the TA of 100 and the TF-100 inside on my kitchen counter when i got the 180 result.

6. Back To Top    #6

The first few tests it can build up a static charge and make the drop smaller.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

That seems to be what the problem was. Thanks!

I tested again today wiping between drops and the TA came out to be 100 again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Alright! Good job fixing your pool!
    TFP Moderator