Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM and TA

Thanks everyone for your help getting me through a SLAM process, it seems that everything is clearing up nicely.

I do have one questions. Before I started my SLAM, my PH was 7.4 and my TA was 100. I know that when FC is really high that PH measurements are not accurate.

Is this the same for TA? Because I tested my TA today while the FC was at 15 and TA registered 180. (PH measured 7.8-7.9)

The only thing I have added to my pool in the last week was 8.25% chlorine bleach.
    18k gal IG Vinyl, 1hp Challenger Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM and TA

No, its just the pH test that isn't accurate.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

What would cause the TA to almost double when I have done nothing else except add bleach for a week?

4. Back To Top    #4

Two options. Somebody snuck in your yard and added some baking soda or testing error. Did you wipe the tip of the bottle on a damp cloth while testing? Not doing that can result in a falsely high result.

That is included in the instructions on the TF-100 which uses Taylor reagents but sometimes not in the K-2006

More detailed instructions here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I did not wipe the tip of the bottle. I read that in the instructions but didn't really understand why I would need to do that. I will retest tomorrow

Previously I was using the K-2006 test outside next to the pool when I got the TA of 100 and the TF-100 inside on my kitchen counter when i got the 180 result.

6. Back To Top    #6

The first few tests it can build up a static charge and make the drop smaller.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

That seems to be what the problem was. Thanks!

I tested again today wiping between drops and the TA came out to be 100 again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Alright! Good job fixing your pool!
    TFP Moderator