LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a 16 year old pump and sand filter and things are going wrong. Leak in the filter tank near the neck, leak in the valve, maybe needed new gasket or new spring for the handle which is a little loose.

What is your opinion? Repair the known items of leakage or just replace the whole thing? We are thinking of buying the same as what we have (which is listed in my signature).
What do you think?
Thanks for your help. I love TFP. (I had a manager at the pool store ask me if I used to work in a pool store since I know so much. I said "No just on a really good pool forum."

Hard to tell without actually seeing the condition, but a 150lb sand filter is much too small for a 1HP pump. You typically see about a 300lb filter on a 1HP pump.

Thanks JohnT. The manager at the pool store told me to buy a 1.5 hp pump and I knew that was way too strong. Do you think the 150# sand filter is the right size for our 16x28 AGP if we went with a 3/4 hp pump? Or does our pool size warrant a larger filter?

Thanks JohnT. The manager at the pool store told me to buy a 1.5 hp pump and I knew that was way too strong. Do you think the 150# sand filter is the right size for our 16x28 AGP if we went with a 3/4 hp pump? Or does our pool size warrant a larger filter?

Without seeing the particular models of equipment, you can't be sure. Most likely a 3/4HP is pushing it with a 150lb filter.

Is the filter body cracked?
Yes duraleigh. slight crack at the neck in the seam of the plastic tank. We have tried to put JBWeld which did not hold and even tried to use a solder iron but still leaks at that crack.
Also, we have replaced the valve spring, spider gasket, o ring and valve friction washers and it still leaks out of the backwash port. We do not see any cracks in the valve housing, ports or any plumbing. Not sure what is left to look for. We are trying to limp thru the rest of this season before having to replace it since our swim season is ending soon. We would prefer to wait till spring in order to have a full warranty, and not lose 8 months of it during the fall winter and spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, too small.
Thanks JohnT ;o)

Well I was able to stop the valve leak by turning the handle repeatedly to set the gasket and no more water coming out the backwash port when in "filter mode". :D
The tank - still not good but needing to filter the pool since we are having a pool party Monday afternoon. Hoping the tank does not split open or something like that. :drown:

Replace the filter. A cracked filter body really is one of the dangerous things to be concerned with. Might last for years....probably won't.

To my knowledge, there is no fix....just replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are going to replace it (and it sounds like it is time) go big with the filter and small(ish) with the pump. My 3/4 hp is plenty enough for my pool, but my 150# filter is getting replaced this fall. The slower passage through the filter will give you better results.

Thank you everyone for your advice!
We have limped thru the swim season here in MI and will be shutting down the pool next week since we will be on vacation and unable to do anything else. We will be purchasing a new filter in the spring in order to get the full warranty. It's been a great pool swim season here and I will miss it. ;o( Summer is my favorite month. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.