Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Salt Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Tempe, AZ

First Salt Test

So we've been at this house and I've TFP'd this pool for a bit over a year. I have not replaced an exceptional amount of water - just what's used by backwashing the filter when needed.

Every now and then I'd get a hint of a salty taste from the water. My curiosity got the best of me so I bought the Taylor test and did my first test last night. Ended up with 2200 or 2400 depending on drop I decided made the 'salmon' or 'brick' color. I've never added salt to the pool other than what is added by bleach or liquid chlorine. So I was somewhat surprised it was that high. I like the feel of the water so I'm not complaining.

My FC demand is 3 to 3.5 in the heat of the summer so I can see the salt adding up fairly quickly. Plus the fill water is softened and that adds even more salt. But the CH stays nice and I'll take that.

I don't see this as a long term problem as I'm eyeing a SWCG anyway. At least I won't need to buy as much salt then.

Just thought I'd share.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: First Salt Test

I read something recently that said some tap water in the desert southwest contains up to 1500 ppm salt. Bleach and muriatic acid also add a little salt.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach