Heavy Duty Pool Ladder needed...I'm WAY over limit on the included one!!!

Jun 4, 2016
Panama City
It has already started to bend and is touching the top of my Summer Waves Polygroup pool. Im on a huge budget crunch now that the insurance has deemed that we had to have a fence. The fence was completed last weekend and the kids have no problem with the cheap ladder. Im thinking of reusing pallets to make a set of pool steps for outside of it. and then using a regular 6' step ladder cut down and adapted to the top step of wood steps and then saving up for some type of normal ladder next year. My budget is under 200, like closer to 100. I have a 6' step ladder that i can cannibalize to use inside pool with something to protect the pool bottom. Am I way out in left field or could I do that? maybe make a set of wood steps for inside the pool? I plan on taking down pool in October. Any comments appreciated....

I would never use a metal step L adder or wooden steps in a pool. Have you checked Craigslist in your area?

I was thinking the front half of a fiberglass 6' ladder and chop off the bottom step and replace the feet with a carpet wrapped 2x4 to protect the pool liner. attached to a set of steps that I build from new 2x12's and reclaimed pallet wood for the treads.

Pallet lumber is not treated; it is the cheapest wood available. Thus it will rot and attract termites. If you do use wood, make sure that a: it's pressure treated and b: any that contacts the ground is rated for "Ground Contact". Usually only 4X4 and 6X6 are gc in home stores. Contractor stores will frequently have other dimensions in gc, especially 2X12 used for stair stringers. As far as your treads, decking lumber will work - but consider how many tender bare feet will be climbing (running?) up and down those steps.

I made my steps to pool with pallets (ck for treated, found mine at lawn mower place), cannibalized pool ladder, treated lumber, simpson ties and deck blocks from Home Depot. It cost a little more than I wanted but I needed a way to feel safe getting in and out. I don't care if I fall in but sure don't want to hit ground. This bumble doesn't bounce.
IMG_20160508_124944_zpsmq4cac5q.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
20150923_192347_zps1px45zs3.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG] Btw, the steps are padded with foam pads for garage/gym floors
20150921_180553_zps0rwez9gi.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
20150907_191357_zps3vtmqa6u.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG] Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everybody! We had almost 15" of rain in the last week. I drained my pool four times...3", 3", 4", 5"! I didn't feel like constructing anything last week....but this week I have three days off. I am planning to do pressure treated on outside of pool and will use trex or similar inside... on the plus side...my water is still crystal clear by using tfp method! I do have to add more cya this week.

Thanks everybody! We had almost 15" of rain in the last week. I drained my pool four times...3", 3", 4", 5"! I didn't feel like constructing anything last week....but this week I have three days off. I am planning to do pressure treated on outside of pool and will use trex or similar inside... on the plus side...my water is still crystal clear by using tfp method! I do have to add more cya this week.
Great! Would love to see pics of finished steps.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Here are the steps with your idea of reusing half a ladder. It needs a railing but its being put on this weekend. I'm thinking of using black iron pipe cleaned and clear coated for the railing. IMG_20160818_155116855.jpgI cut those stringers myself! And there are two uprights on each side, one is under the stringer. The other is the one you see on the face of the stringer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.