Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA level for SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

TA level for SWG

I just had a salt water generator installed and I'm in the process of adjusting my water (mostly adding salt, of course, and raising the CYA) before turning it on tomorrow.

My TA has drifted down during the summer from 110 in May to 80 last week, but today it's back up to 90. Pool School recommends a range of 60-80. My question is, which is the most desirable end of that range to be on to best control pH? Is it raising it that stabilizes pH or lowering it?

FC 3.5 (going to raise that to 5-6 later today)
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    CH 325
    TA 90
    CYA 40 (already working on raising that to 70-80)
    Salt 2400 (added 100 lbs. since that reading)
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA level for SWG

Generally speaking, if the TA is higher it allows the pH to rise easier/quicker, so if you have that problem you'd want to be on the lower end on the spectrum. That should help in pH stability and also help lessen the chance of scale on your equipment. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, Texas Splash. I had it backwards – thought a higher TA would protect against pH rise. Guess I'll put in some MA and start aerating!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the same issue. TA of like 180 and PH constantly through the roof, and I couldn't understand it. Finally did some reading on TA and found out its opposite of what you think.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

My first yr with pool had constant problem with PH rising to quick. My TA was kept around 110. Once I started lowering my TA and found the pool's sweet spot my PH rise has become a lot more manageable. My pool seems to like 85-90 TA. Your may be different.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).