Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Portland Cement to Sand Ratio

1. Back To Top    #1

Portland Cement to Sand Ratio

The construction is underway on our 24x44 IGP!!! I am getting conflicting information from the guy helping us build and the info from the company we bought the kit from. What is the standard ratio of Portland Cement to Sand for the bottom of the pool? (Will post pics soon)
    24x44 Rec vinyl IGP, 3'4"-8'6", 1.5hp Hayward pump, 24" sand filter, Polaris 280, diving board, slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Portland Cement to Sand Ratio

Nice! 24x44 is a great pool size.

The mix is 4 parts masonry sand and 1 part Portland cement.

A suggestion after the base is put in: is to cover the whole pool in foam (not just the walls).

While it is more $$ the sand/portland base can be a little hard.

Amazon.com : Gladon 100-Feet Roll Above Ground Pool Wall Foam - 1/8 in. x 48 in. : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would not suggest putting this product on the pool floor. The weight from the water above it will smash it absolutely flat. I put 1/4 inch foam on the SIDES of my pool and, under 3 feet of water, the foam was about 1/16th thick. It would seem completely ineffective in supplying ANY cushioning effect.

Curious why you chose sand/portland mix rather than sand/vermiculite?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I would not suggest putting this product on the pool floor. The weight from the water above it will smash it absolutely flat. I put 1/4 inch foam on the SIDES of my pool and, under 3 feet of water, the foam was about 1/16th thick. It would seem completely ineffective in supplying ANY cushioning effect.

Curious why you chose sand/portland mix rather than sand/vermiculite?
    I would have to ask my husband, this was the decision he and our guy came to. (He is doing dirt work around the pool area as we speak). Thanks for info guys!
    24x44 Rec vinyl IGP, 3'4"-8'6", 1.5hp Hayward pump, 24" sand filter, Polaris 280, diving board, slide