Chlorine Loss Question

Jun 24, 2016
Tyler, TX
Good morning all. Have a quick question for the forum. I have a CYA level of 140 and I have been having to keep my FC levels relatively high. Ranging between 12-18 ppm. Initially I was keeping the chlorine around 18 ppm and in the last month started keeping it at 12 ppm. Each day I was having a loss of about 4-5 ppm. I havent had time to do a SLAM yet, due to work, but each day I just add enough chlorine to get me back up to 12 ppm. I have noticed over the last two days that I have started only losing about 2 ppm. My question is, would this indicate that whatever is eating my cholorine is going away? What would be your sugggestion going forward?

FC: average 12 ppm
CC: .5
TA: 100
PH: 7.8
CYA: 140 (will drain after the season is over)

Swimmer load hasnt changed and its been about 101 everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of the OCLT test and will try that. I appreciate the info.

My testing has been done about 5 PM each day. It just seemed weird that for the longest is has been religously dropping by 4-5 ppm each day and the last couple days, no change in swimmer load or temp, it has gone to 1-2 ppm per day. It just seemed odd.

I will try the OCLT test this evening and in the morning and report back.

Just as an aside, you could probably get that loss to a permanent 2 ppm if you drained half your pool and replaced it with non-CYA water.

I was going to jump on the heat issue but you already have that covered. I have no explanation for your reduced loss.

Since you are losing only 1-2 ppm in the daylight, I doubt the OCLT will yield any clues.

Gig 'em!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.