Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Loss Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Chlorine Loss Question

Good morning all. Have a quick question for the forum. I have a CYA level of 140 and I have been having to keep my FC levels relatively high. Ranging between 12-18 ppm. Initially I was keeping the chlorine around 18 ppm and in the last month started keeping it at 12 ppm. Each day I was having a loss of about 4-5 ppm. I havent had time to do a SLAM yet, due to work, but each day I just add enough chlorine to get me back up to 12 ppm. I have noticed over the last two days that I have started only losing about 2 ppm. My question is, would this indicate that whatever is eating my cholorine is going away? What would be your sugggestion going forward?

FC: average 12 ppm
    CC: .5
    TA: 100
    PH: 7.8
    CYA: 140 (will drain after the season is over)
    23k IG gunite pool, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Pentair Quad 80 DE filter, Polaris Cleaner, Taylor Testing Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Loss Question

Has it not been as hot or sunny the last few days? Also, has the swimmer load been less the last few days?
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The way to tell if you have something growing is to do an OCLT. Test the FC after the sun goes down and before the sun comes up. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

Swimmer load hasnt changed and its been about 101 everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of the OCLT test and will try that. I appreciate the info.

My testing has been done about 5 PM each day. It just seemed weird that for the longest is has been religously dropping by 4-5 ppm each day and the last couple days, no change in swimmer load or temp, it has gone to 1-2 ppm per day. It just seemed odd.

I will try the OCLT test this evening and in the morning and report back.
    23k IG gunite pool, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Pentair Quad 80 DE filter, Polaris Cleaner, Taylor Testing Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Just as an aside, you could probably get that loss to a permanent 2 ppm if you drained half your pool and replaced it with non-CYA water.

I was going to jump on the heat issue but you already have that covered. I have no explanation for your reduced loss.

Since you are losing only 1-2 ppm in the daylight, I doubt the OCLT will yield any clues.

Gig 'em!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OCLT test done and it started at 11 ppm and in the morning was 10.5 ppm. I guess whatever was eating my chlorine is gone. Now I maintain my FC rates at 12 ppm. Any other suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

Only one other thing to do now ....
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Great news!

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile