Frustrated new(ish) pool owner

Aug 5, 2016
Barrie
Hi All.

Just introducing myself. We bought a home last summer with an inground pool. I was very excited because I'd always wanted a pool, and maintenance last year was a breeze. This year has been a whole other story. I no longer have a pool in my backyard, I have a giant money pit. Between pump problems and a major leak that still hasn't been diagnosed/repaired properly (after 3 visits from a local pool company), I'm getting to the point of just wanting to fill it in (which is something I never thought I'd say).

I'm going to try to go through some historical posts for hints about my own leak issues, but I'm wondering which spot is the best to post leak related questions if I don't find what I'm looking for in historical posts?

Welcome to TFP, Ashley :)

Lets just go ahead and jump in to it- What is happening to the pool that makes you think you have a leak? Are you having to refill often and how much? Do you see any wet areas around the pool or equipment?

Background: Took possession of this pool 7/24 last year. It was opened and in use until 9/24. No issues. Never had to add water (not once). Vacuuming worked great. No algae issues. Crystal clear water, easy to balance, professional did the close for us in Sept. Same pro opened pool for us at the end of May

This season's issue:
-vaccuum doesn't work properly. I prime the hose as I did last year, but the pump loses prime as soon as the hose is attached to the skimmer. It will work back up a bit, but never fully primes until I unplug the hose. So pool hasn't had a really good vacuum all season (I get most debris out, it's never 100% because I don't have full suction)
-started noticing water loss a few weeks after opening. It was slow at first and it's been a hot and dry summer, so I thought evap at first
-when i started having to add water every 1-2 days, I started getting worried (I use a solar cover every night)
-pool company came out and pressure tested the plumbing and did a vinyl leak detect. Said plumbing was fine, liner had 2 holes in the deep which they patched
-water level seemed okay for a couple days but then started dropping drastically again (>2 inches overnight, while covered, pump not running)
-called them back out, they located a leak in the backwash, which they repaired yesterday
-I cleaned, backwashed, shocked (liquid chlorine), and filled the pool last night. Vacuum issue is still happening. Left uncovered and running because I had shocked it, lost almost 2 inches of water.

I don't see any wet areas around the equipment or pool, but we have a very large concrete deck srrounded on 3 sides by a wooden deck so it could be wet under there and we just can't see it. We did have small drip leak at the pump after opening, but we replaced a couple O-rings and gaskets and that fixed the issue nicely. Bone dry in there since.

Well, here is the TFP guide for leak detection --> Pool School - Leak Detection

I think you need to start with a bucket test. Do that so you can rule it out of the way....

If you didn't refill the pool theoretically it would lose water until it stopped at the level of a hole in the liner. Assuming it is a hole in the liner.... Something to consider. It may make it easier to find if it is in the liner.