Newbie, need help with Alkalinity Please!

Jul 21, 2016
Salina, KS
I am a new pool and spa owner. I dont know a lot of stats...the spa in this case is a 4 person in ground spa. Not sure that matters for this convo. Ask questions if needed, and I will try to answer them. i use a pentair 5 solution test to test the water. Chlorine tests good, pH seems to be good as well, always testing right in the ideal area. when I do the alkalinity test, it seems high. It always takes 20+ drops to change the color of the liquid. Is this something I should be concerned about? We have tried to add some muratic acid, but it doesnt seem to change it one bit.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Can a high TA level be a problem? ... yes. How much of a problem depends upon the actual reading compared to current pH and CH levels, and also the type of pool you have. I can't speak for the Pentair testing you are using as it's not one of the TFP-recommended test kits we use (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), but when TA is confirmed as being too high, we do recommend the acid/aeration method to lower TA. You will find those instructions on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Hope that helps.

I have a K-2006 kit, but its a bit overwhelming coming in new...this Pentair kit is a lot easier. I'll get to the Taylor at some point, but it will take some time. You have no idea how much acid I have put in over a few weeks time. I can sometimes get it down to 2000, but thats about as low as it will get.

2000? Humm. That seems odd. With the K-2006 test kit, you should be able to do the following:
- 25 ML water sample
- Add 2 drops of R-0007
- Add 5 drops of R-0008 (green)
- Start mixing and counting drops of R-0009 until it changes from green to a Barbie pink.
- Take that number and multiply by 10

Does that help?

Remember, continue to add drops until the color has absolutely no further change, this can be as much as three drops once the water turns red. I was doing it all wrong until I learned this. As long as a drop affects the color, keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.