Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie, need help with Alkalinity Please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie, need help with Alkalinity Please!

I am a new pool and spa owner. I dont know a lot of stats...the spa in this case is a 4 person in ground spa. Not sure that matters for this convo. Ask questions if needed, and I will try to answer them. i use a pentair 5 solution test to test the water. Chlorine tests good, pH seems to be good as well, always testing right in the ideal area. when I do the alkalinity test, it seems high. It always takes 20+ drops to change the color of the liquid. Is this something I should be concerned about? We have tried to add some muratic acid, but it doesnt seem to change it one bit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie, need help with Alkalinity Please!

Hello and welcome to TFP! Can a high TA level be a problem? ... yes. How much of a problem depends upon the actual reading compared to current pH and CH levels, and also the type of pool you have. I can't speak for the Pentair testing you are using as it's not one of the TFP-recommended test kits we use (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), but when TA is confirmed as being too high, we do recommend the acid/aeration method to lower TA. You will find those instructions on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a K-2006 kit, but its a bit overwhelming coming in new...this Pentair kit is a lot easier. I'll get to the Taylor at some point, but it will take some time. You have no idea how much acid I have put in over a few weeks time. I can sometimes get it down to 2000, but thats about as low as it will get.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

2000? Humm. That seems odd. With the K-2006 test kit, you should be able to do the following:
    - 25 ML water sample
    - Add 2 drops of R-0007
    - Add 5 drops of R-0008 (green)
    - Start mixing and counting drops of R-0009 until it changes from green to a Barbie pink.
    - Take that number and multiply by 10

Does that help?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

this Pentair kit is a lot easier.
    "easier" usually means less accurate.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I did the steps that Texas Splash outlined above. It took about 20-22 drops of R-0009 to turn the water pink.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Remember, continue to add drops until the color has absolutely no further change, this can be as much as three drops once the water turns red. I was doing it all wrong until I learned this. As long as a drop affects the color, keep going.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma