Helping out a neighbor and trying to convert. Question regarding Aqua Smarte

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
My neighbor just had her pool installed and she has the Aqua Smarte System. Just got on here today and read about this system. I've already texted her about possibly not using this at all and just going with the bleach. Question is, I know that this system adds CYA to the water but does anyone know how fast it raises it? We were going to add this to her pool tonight but now I don't know how much to add. Hopefully she will not use the Aqua Smarte then problem solved but if not I don't know how much to add. She just put the cartridge in last night around 9:30. I'm also worried about her chlorine level. After reading about the Aqua Smarte I found out that it barely raises the chlorine at all. Is that right? I didn't get to test this last night due to the time. So far I added Muratic acid to lower her Ph which is at 7.2 right now. A little low but we are adding Baking Soda tonight because her TA is at 40 so I'm hoping her Ph will raise just a tad with that. If not I'll just tell her daughter to splash constantly while she swims, lol. Can I add bleach to her pool even though she has the Aqua Smarte?

Oh and she has an oval pool 12X24 oval AGP with a 52" wall. I've been using pool math at 7000 gallons just to be safe until I can properly measure her depth tonight.

Any other advice you'd like to throw out there would be much appreciated as well!

Google tells me that's a "mineral system". If so it is probably adding metals to the water (copper?) If she's taking your advice, I'd tell her to take the cartridge out pronto and get on a chlorine testing/dosing plan. Get her to add CYA the regular way, hang a sock or liquid ($$).

I'm not sure I'd get involved in a "2 chefs 1 kitchen" arrangement. It might be best to mention the dangers of adding metal, mention how simple your own pool maintenance is and point to your pool and TFP.
Miyagi: Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later

[makes squish gesture]

Miyagi: get squish just like grape.

"I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have" :)

I just texted her again. she's going to the store to get bleach now so problem solved. Thank God! She knows how maintenance free my pool is and wants the same. I told her to stop using that cartridge and when she gets home to put in 40 oz of bleach. Hopefully that will raise her FC to a 4.

Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.