More pool heater woes.

evanwellens

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Stony Point, NY
So thanks to the awesomeness of this site I recently replaced a vent limit switch and our heater was back in business for a few days. Yesterday I noticed smoke. Removed the door and of course something was on the burners.. After cooling and looking around I realized it was a decent sized piece of insulation. Looking around the heater I also noticed the back upper portion was discolored. I managed to get the insulation off the burners and ran the heater again. The upper back of the heater was hot, but nothing else seemed to get excessively hot. So I have 2 questions, 1. is it crazy to run the heater like this temporarily ? 2. I'm fairly handy is it crazy to try to replace the combustion chamber ? Or are there other options ? Should I just bite the bullet and get a new heater ;-( ? . The manufacture only gave me the whole chamber part ( they don't appear to like discussing things with home owners) and the closest shop wants over 200$/hr to diagnose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea it's a Jandy LRZ400EN.

You could run it for a short period of time but you should probably also clean the heat exchanger as I am sure it is sooted up. If the refractory material fell apart, then you need to investigate why. Taking the unit apart would show you what's wrong and if it's worth replacing the material or not.

Thanks for the reply!! What would you suggest cleaning it with? Guess I'm opening it up today. Seems like I have to remove the entire heat exchange to access the combustion chamber :-(... hopefully I can get it back together..let's say I do, any suggestions on what type of adhesive I could use to re attach the panel's ? Again thanks too bad you aren't local, would love to enlist your services.

So I got the heat exchanger out, not too bad and it's like all the insulation panels are broken. One so much so that parts fell on the burners. Wire brushing the soot from the heat exchanger. So in a perfectt world I could just buy panels at lowes, but have no idea what the material is or something i could use to substitute. Also why would they all break up the way they did. See picts attached.

IMG_20160806_150351.jpg IMG_20160806_150407.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea in the mean time think I can silcon ( high temp ) it to the walls so I can enjoy a pool over 75 degrees again ;-)

Yes it appears to be leaking.. I tried to put silicone (hi tmp) around the fitting but that didn't stop it. Maybe new rubber washers was my next thought. Figure the leak caused the insulation failure?

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas where I can source panel's ? When I googled I get fireplace panel's

If the leak is on the inside yes it would cause the panels to break up like this. If the heat exchanger is leaking on the interior, you need a new heat exchanger which won't be cheap.

Give Raypak a call and they can hopefully tell you where you can get it from. You might be able to buy it from them, maybe.

I believe the exchanger is leaking on the seal , might just need new washers. Also very suspect that it's leaking appears exterior and on one side , yet all 4 panels are showing signs of failure. Thanks again for all your insights.. I'll give Raypack a buzz thx!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK if I find the exchanger is leaking on the inside, can't I braze the leak (possibly cutting a few fins ) ? I read it's a common. Problem . Seems that if I can hook it up to the pump it should reveal the leak. seems better than replacing the unit.

If you find a hole in the heat exchanger, it's not a common problem unless your chemicals have not been where they should be. The hole is chemical related. The copper has been weakened and thus the hole formed. If you patch that hole you have to ask yourself "Are there any other spots that are weak and will leak at some time?"

It looks to me like the leak is in the back right hand side corner on the heat exchanger based upon looking at your picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.