Good Morning New pool owner here!!

DMERK

Jul 23, 2016
PHOENIX,NY
Good Morning folks!!

I love this sight good to see folks helping each other out!

Totally new to this pool stuff so here goes.

15' AG Intex pool vinyl liner cartridge filter (several cartridge changes already) in 2 weeks

Just got my TFP test kit, so i cant promise how accurate readings are!

water seems always cloudy, have added clarifier 3 times hence the cartridge changes

FC 0
PH 7.5
TA 200
CH 200
CYA 20
borate 1

82 degrees F

I have added 12.5% chlorine once but doesnt seem to raise levels,
Water level is currently low as i need to readjust a couple of the support poles
i need to find a source for some of needed chemicals, all i have is a "start up kit" from Bison labs private labeled "aqua clear"

As a total "babe in the woods" here any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave - Your source for needed chemicals is your nearest grocery store. You are missing one important test. Combined Chlorine. Done with results from FC test. Chemicals all can be purchased from big box stores bleach, store brand, Borax (not washing soda) and baking soda. Stabilizer for CYA in pool dept of same store.

You need to create a signature for your pool with info that will appear each time you post.

So far, without CC test, pH good range, CYA little low, YOU NEED BLEACH AND SEVERAL BOTTLES OF IT> See CYA/Chlorine chart to figure your FC number. DO NOT open AQUA Clear. Put on shelf and ignore.

Please post CC results ASAP so we can see if anything growing you need to erradicate

^^ I agree. Ignore pool store products and clarifiers. Regular bleach is your pool's best friend right now. We need to see your CC level, but I suspect the cloudiness is an algae bloom in it's infant stage. So that, along with the sun, will eat-up chlorine very fast which is probably why you can never seem to keep it in there. Definitely increase the CYA to 30 and upon review of your CC reading, be prepared to perform a "SLAM" (link below) with an FC of "12" until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. The SLAM page outlines everything for you. Before starting a SLAM, remember to lower pH to 7.2 before increasing the FC to 12. Welcome to TFP! :wave: Great to have you with us!

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

OK clearly im missing something here, i have gone back and forth thru pool scholl and not finding how to calculate CC???
And is stablizer just called that in pool stores? available elsewhere??
BTW your right i have turned green since i fixed support posts and filled so no doubt algae
im guessing a good shock in in order??

Thanks
Dave

DO NOT GO NEAR POOL STORE FOR SUPPLIES - they will sell you other stuff you don't need.

For your SLAM you will have to lower your pH with Muratic Acid, raise your CYA to 30 with stabilizer and add bleach according to Chlorine/CYA charts. Might as well pick up a dozen bottles you will need them sooner or later. All these chemicals can be obtained at above listed stores. Do not purchase ALGECIDE.

If you have any questions, we are happy to answer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally! noone wanting to use pool for a couple days!
I think I have all the chemicals ill need (hope so still a newbie here!)20160807_145213.jpg

as of 1:15 PM EST

CH .5
BR 1
PH 7.8
FC 0
CC 0
TC O
CHT 0
TA 130
CYA ???? full tube yet still see dot??

84 F

Be gentle w/ me please step by step if you would be so kind

Thanks

Dave

Find an old sock and fill with 3/4 of amount pool math says to add. Hang in pool in front of return so water coming to pool will force its way into sock to dissolve powder and begin to mix with water. Occasionally squeeze sock to help process along.

I don't think its a good idea to swim in unchlorinated water. I'd add a gallon of bleach tonite and go ahead and get cya added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.