Did I buy the wrong sand filter/pump? Please help, experts. Thanks!

Chele

Aug 4, 2016
Atlanta
I have a small 15'x48" Intex Pool, Intex CG-28669 SWCG, and I just bought an Intex 3000GPH Sand Filter/Pump. I'm wondering if I should have bought the next size down, the 2150GPH version. I was told a larger pump/filter would be better for vacuuming. Here are the manual recommendations for media for the two (three):

2016-08-04 21_19_36-Intex Sand Filter 28651EG - PDF-XChange Viewer.jpg

I was planning on using filter glass, but would have to buy two bags of glass with 3000GPH, vs 1 for 2150GPH (ok I'd be 5 pounds short, but figured I could use a little gravel in the bottom or sand, is that wrong?).

So should I return the 3000gph before I open it and get the 2150gph, or keep the 3000gph? I don't mind spending the extra money, but don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Also I will just put old regular pool sand like this one
42389b05de3e9efda7671eeafea17d30.jpg

The general feeling around here is filter grade pool sand works fine (excluding rare situation where the wrong type of sand may have been packed in bags labelled as pool filter sand). Crushed glass and other sand alternatives are products looking for a market.

I would like to have the larger sand filter. Mine does an awesome job but being able to filter and vac in a shorter time would be great. And make sure you use sand packaged explicitly for sand filters or you could ruin your filter. I'm not an expert but I don't believe you should add gravel or rocks to the filter.

I have the EXACT same setup on a 16' x 48" Intex pool and am very happy with it. I don't have to backwash very often, only have to run the pump 6-8 hours, I installed a Hayward skimmer in the side wall of the pool and the pump runs a vacuum off the skimmer with no problems. Works for me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.