Chronic High PH

Baldur

May 30, 2016
MN
Folks,

This is my second pool (so total of 15 years of pool ownership) so not a total Newbie. This latest one is a salt (mineral) system.

I tend and care for pool myself, dont hire a service. Its a low traffic environment. Just my wife and I and a teenage son who's gone a lot, so the pool doesn't get used a ton

My chlorine level is perfect, my salt level is perfect. I take my water in for testing at my local pool store monthly. Nothing else to worry about. No metals etc.

But for some reason my PH levels are chronically high. I add MA and bring them down to ideal levels, but in less than a week they go right back up again.

I have read that salt pools tend to do this, but really? That quick? Any advice is welcome.

Regards

Baldur

Folks,

This is my second pool (so total of 15 years of pool ownership) so not a total Newbie. This latest one is a salt (mineral) system.

I tend and care for pool myself, dont hire a service. Its a low traffic environment. Just my wife and I and a teenage son who's gone a lot, so the pool doesn't get used a ton

My chlorine level is perfect, my salt level is perfect. I take my water in for testing at my local pool store monthly. Nothing else to worry about. No metals etc.

But for some reason my PH levels are chronically high. I add MA and bring them down to ideal levels, but in less than a week they go right back up again.

I have read that salt pools tend to do this, but really? That quick? Any advice is welcome.

Regards

Baldur

Welcome!

This forum usually bases its recommendation on reliable data so it would help if you provide your test numbers and test kit used to get those numbers:

CYA=
FC=
CC=
pH=
TA=

it would help even more if you could update your signature and include pool details, equipment and test kit name in there.

I too observe this as well. Its been like this for the past four years of pool ownership.

I have a chlorine generator. I usually let the pool come up to around 7.8 - 8 ph and then knock it down to around 7.4, 1/2gal of acid does the trick. I end up using a gallon or two in a month. This is a somewhat good thing for me as my TA likes to creep up on me which causes issues with scaling on my swg.

I have a 30k/gal pool and a solar heater.

I have a tft kit and currently have the following numbers:

Cya 50
Fc 7.5
Cc 0
Ph 8
Ta 80

Just added a 1/2 gallon yesterday, so I should be in the 7.4ish range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too observe this as well. Its been like this for the past four years of pool ownership.

I have a chlorine generator. I usually let the pool come up to around 7.8 - 8 ph and then knock it down to around 7.4, 1/2gal of acid does the trick. I end up using a gallon or two in a month. This is a somewhat good thing for me as my TA likes to creep up on me which causes issues with scaling on my swg.

I have a 30k/gal pool and a solar heater.

I have a tft kit and currently have the following numbers:

Cya 50
Fc 7.5
Cc 0
Ph 8
Ta 80

Just added a 1/2 gallon yesterday, so I should be in the 7.4ish range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Chris,

That sounds like my situation exactly. Even have the same size pool (30K gals). All my chemistry levels / readings in the normal range, but after 4 days to a week the PH is back up to 7.8 - 8. I use muriatic acid to knock it down, but even with the pool *not in use* it will creep back up.

What I was hoping to find out is if this is just a normal condition with a salt pool or if there is some other condition I should know about. I know I never had this issue with my previous pool (in ground approx the same size) but that pool was a normal chlorine pool.

Regards

Baldur

Your Ph will naturally rise with a SWG. Lowering your TA to 60 or 70 will slow the rise somewhat and reduce the frequency with which you will have to add acid.

But...

You should absolutely get your own test kit, and not rely on pool store testing. If you are using a mineral system, you are probably adding copper to your pool. If it is not a problem now, it will be in the future, unless you are draining your pool at the end of every season. Pool store testing is notoriously unreliable and its purpose is to sell you overpriced products to put in your pool. Sometimes these will solve your problems; sometimes they will create new problems.

I'm a newbie to the forum, but have been following TFP since my install last summer. I have the same issue with PH creep and manage it by adding acid about once per week. One thing I have noticed is that when we have the solar cover on for a few days, the problem stops and even reverses itself. As an example, we left the cover on 1 full week and PH went from 7.8 to 7.4. When we remove the cover and use the pool, PH creeps back up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.