Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and pool level question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and pool level question

My PB plumbed in a 1" PVC pipe in the back of my skimmer as a water release to keep pool from over flowing. I don't know if this is common practice or not. I think the pipe is about an inch to low, and lets to much water out when splashing in the pool My question is can I plug it up and raise the pool level to within a inch of the top of skimmer? I know large leafs may not get through, but everything else will. Will this affect the skimming in any other way? I do realize that I will need to remove the plug before any rains, or I am out of town. Thanks!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer and pool level question

can you get to the back of the pipe where it comes out to drain? If so how about a ball valve there instead of a plug then you don't have to worry about the plug coming out.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pipe comes out in the yard about 10' from concrete. I'd probably run over the valve with riding mower. I have it plugged in side the skimmer now.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that is fine to do. Once the water level is close to the top of the weir the velocity into the skimmer will drop and it won't be as efficient skimming debris.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach