Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA levels

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels

I have a problem with high levels of CYA, and I believe this is why I also have a problem with green algae. My CYA averages 80ppm which I have down from a high of 170. All my readings are in the normal range, PH 7.5, Alk 112, Calcium Hardness 270, average pool temp 82. Please note I live in a rain forest the water here is very soft and very clean, I average 100 pounds a month of calcium chloride just to keep my calcium hardness above 250, for a plaster pool. I've been keeping my FC between 2 and 4 with the average about 2.7, I want to know if I should keep my FC higher. I read somewhere on this forum a chart that gave FC averages based on CYA but I can't find it again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    In ground pool is 33' X 75' holds 110,000 gallons. I have 3 pool pumps that average 75-gpm through micron filters, 4 filters per pump, total of 12 filters. I have 3 chlorine feeders one on each pump. "This pool is 100% solar, the pumps only pump during daylight hours." It is an outdoor pool with no cover and I live in a rain forest.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA levels

Hi Tmman,
    While I am no expert in the use of CYA it appears that the amount of FC you have for the CYA concentration is very low. Here is a link to the chart,

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

good luck
    Nueva Viscaya, Philippines, IG, 36cum reinforced concrete, ceramic tiles. Completed June 2016. Hayward kit: DE6020 filter with 6 way Vari-flow valve, Max Flow XL SP2707Z1M single speed pump, Chlorine Feeder CL200. Perimeter overflow skimmer to sump. Waterfall feature. In pool LED lighting. Test kit BlueDevil pH, TCl], FCl, Alk, TDS meter, pH meter. Filled from my own well.

3. Back To Top    #3

What type of "chlorine feeders" do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

And, we would love to see a pic of your pool!!! So large and in the rain forest? Gotta see it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tmman View Post
    I have a problem with high levels of CYA, and I believe this is why I also have a problem with green algae. My CYA averages 80ppm which I have down from a high of 170. All my readings are in the normal range, PH 7.5, Alk 112, Calcium Hardness 270, average pool temp 82. Please note I live in a rain forest the water here is very soft and very clean, I average 100 pounds a month of calcium chloride just to keep my calcium hardness above 250, for a plaster pool. I've been keeping my FC between 2 and 4 with the average about 2.7, I want to know if I should keep my FC higher. I read somewhere on this forum a chart that gave FC averages based on CYA but I can't find it again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    How did you get your numbers? Just trying to understand how reliable they are.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Pahoa, Hawaii?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    How did you get your numbers? Just trying to understand how reliable they are.
    I use the colorQ pro 11 "DPD"

In ground pool is 33' X 75' holds 110,000 gallons. I have 3 pool pumps that average 75-gpm through micron filters, 4 filters per pump, total of 12 filters. I have 3 chlorine feeders one on each pump. "This pool is 100% solar, the pumps only pump during daylight hours." It is an outdoor pool with no cover and I live in a rain forest.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    What type of "chlorine feeders" do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

And, we would love to see a pic of your pool!!! So large and in the rain forest? Gotta see it!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's just a normal pool nothing fantasy.

9. Back To Top    #9

I use the colorQ pro 11 "DPD"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They look reliable- then as already pointed out your FC has been way too low for even your current CYA level. Basically with that CYA it's practically the same as no chlorine at all. You'd need to switch to liquid chlorine exclusively and SLAM the pool. Problem though your DPD kit has limit of 10 ppm. You might get around this with dilution as for SLAM you don't need 1 ppm resolution anyway.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

That is huge!!!! Thanks for the pics!

NOT happy with 3 in-line chlorine tab dispensers. You are on your way back to a CYA of 170 because those tabs add CYA. Have you looked into a SWG or a stenner?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    That is huge!!!! Thanks for the pics!

NOT happy with 3 in-line chlorine tab dispensers. You are on your way back to a CYA of 170 because those tabs add CYA. Have you looked into a SWG or a stenner?
    I'm trying to get the board of directors to allow me to switch over to calcium hypochlorite tabs vs the trichloro s triazinetrione tabs we use now. But not having much success. FTR the reason I fight with high CYA is "I believe" we are near an active volcano and sometimes we get "vog" a form of acid rain.
    I'm not sure what SWG or stenner is. I would like to know though if you would share.

12. Back To Top    #12

They look reliable- then as already pointed out your FC has been way too low for even your current CYA level. Basically with that CYA it's practically the same as no chlorine at all. You'd need to switch to liquid chlorine exclusively and SLAM the pool. Problem though your DPD kit has limit of 10 ppm. You might get around this with dilution as for SLAM you don't need 1 ppm resolution anyway.
    Slam is something new to me. I super chlorinate the pool about every two weeks with calcium hypochlorite granules which are a headache to dissolve prior to putting in pool. I will put in a request to go with liquid bleach but the board will take its time in giving me an answer. In the meantime is my method worth the time and effort.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm trying to get the board of directors to allow me to switch over to calcium hypochlorite tabs vs the trichloro s triazinetrione tabs we use now. But not having much success. FTR the reason I fight with high CYA is "I believe" we are near an active volcano and sometimes we get "vog" a form of acid rain.
    I'm not sure what SWG or stenner is. I would like to know though if you would share.

you're putting CYA there yourself- check MSDS on those chlorinating tablets or the bottom of the PoolMath page (link at the top) where it says 'effect of adding ...' Don't blame volcano for everything

SWG produces chlorine by electrolysis. Besides initial cost and possible maintenance it's the most chemically self contained system which in theory requires only water. In practice it requires some MA additions from time to time.

Stenner is brand for peristaltic pumps which are used along with a timer to dose off liquid chlorine into the pool. You'd still need to store it somewhere as contrary to SWG chlorine is not produced by this system, only dispensed.

Neither of them introduce extra chemicals to the water, that's why they're loved around here.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The bolded parts are related. If you went with bleach alone, you are probably looking at around 3-4 gallons per day based on bather load.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

you're putting CYA there yourself- check MSDS on those chlorinating tablets or the bottom of the PoolMath page (link at the top) where it says 'effect of adding ...' Don't blame volcano for everything

SWG produces chlorine by electrolysis. Besides initial cost and possible maintenance it's the most chemically self contained system which in theory requires only water. In practice it requires some MA additions from time to time.

Stenner is brand for peristaltic pumps which are used along with a timer to dose off liquid chlorine into the pool. You'd still need to store it somewhere as contrary to SWG chlorine is not produced by this system, only dispensed.

Neither of them introduce extra chemicals to the water, that's why they're loved around here.
    Thank you for the info I'll check into it. And yea I know I'm adding CYA and that's why I'm trying to find a much better method. Thank you again

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you for the info I'll check into it. And yea I know I'm adding CYA and that's why I'm trying to find a much better method. Thank you again

as was pointed out your method of using cal-hypo instead of tablets + liquid chlorine should be just what you need: you'll always be able to adjust proportion if your CH will raise too high. The cal-hypo / LC proportion depends on how much water you replace with soft fill water, in other words what is your say monthly CH 'loss'. I wish I had that problem .

18. Back To Top    #18

Do not use CalHypo tabs in that feeder. They are not as firm/compressed and dissolve quicker than the TriChlor tabs. They will just plug up those feeders. Plus, from a safety standpoint you should never mix chlorine types in any enclosed space like that feeder as it can have explosive results.

Pool Chemical Explosion Accident Analysis and Investigation at chemaxx.com

Pool Chemical Explosion - YouTube

You have high CYA because Trichlor tabs are almost half CYA in the chemical compound. It has nothing to do with your volcano or acid rain.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

19. Back To Top    #19

And to answer your previous question, you need to target at least 9ppm with the CYA of (80).

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    Pahoa, Hawaii?
    Yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast