Stains in vinyl pool

Aug 4, 2016
Apple Valley, MN
I had trouble with dark stains on the bottom of our vinyl pool and the pool store suggested shocking and algaecide,which didn't help. It actually added additional areas of staining. Then I remembered muriatic acid and it was successful! When using muriatic acid, you should shut off your pump, so I do it in the evening. Also wear long pants, shoes and gloves, so you don't get any splashes on your skin and follow the manufactures directions on the container. Pour the muriatic acid around the pool perimeter, similar to when you add liquid shock. Keep your pump off for 12 hour or overnight and don't allow anyone to swim for 12 hours. In the morning, your stains should be gone. The pump should be started, vacuum the bottom and backwash. Muriatic acid can be purchased at Menards, Home Depot, Ace Hardware etc. for about $4.99 a gallon. I have a large 16' x 32' Doughboy pool with a deep end, so I have approximately 20,000 gallons of water. I added two gallons of muriatic acid. I hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Re: Staining caused by chlorine shock.

What did that do to your ph though when you added that much?

And did adding borax or washing soda to raise it back make the stains return?
(that's how I got mine)

Yes, I needed to add some PH up to the water. I posted too early. I thought I had the stains solved, but by this afternoon, I can see them returning. It's lighter, and less stains, but I can see it. I'm frustrated! Last week, I went to the pool store three times to have my water tested and explained my problem. I also showed them pictures. They had me treat for algae, but it doesn't puff up when I brush over it, so I didn't think it was algae. It also doesn't come off with your fingernail and smear. Two of the times they recommended adding 4 gallons of shock and algaecide. They also had me add a product for alkalinity. It seemed better, but then after three days away, the spots returned.

Yes, I needed to add some PH up to the water. I posted too early. I thought I had the stains solved, but by this afternoon, I can see them returning. It's lighter, and less stains, but I can see it. I'm frustrated! Last week, I went to the pool store three times to have my water tested and explained my problem. I also showed them pictures. They had me treat for algae, but it doesn't puff up when I brush over it, so I didn't think it was algae. It also doesn't come off with your fingernail and smear. Two of the times they recommended adding 4 gallons of shock and algaecide. They also had me add a product for alkalinity. It seemed better, but then after three days away, the spots returned.

I'm a little confused what are you after- I doubt anyone around here would be able to explain what was going on. If you'd like to get help then you're most welcome but it would require you to start from scratch: forget about what you ever heard and join this lively community of ppl enjoying their pools. Your call totally.

What you'd need: reliable test kit first (TF100 preferred K2006 as a minimum), bunch of liquid chlorine, clear your pool of all chemical dispensers you might have there, put 2 gal of liquid chlorine in the water and add 1/2 gal daily after that until your test kit arrives and you can post your numbers.
Please update your signature with pool/equipment details, post pictures of the problem and one more thing- start a new thread to avoid confusion.

Dreierav, the forum can help you solve this, but you should start a new thread for yourself so it gets the focus.

post some photos too...imgur.com is free to post photos.

+1 -- Your system is likely causing the staining, but before using sequestrant to control metals, etc., post some pics and get a kit ( TFTestkits.net ) to take control of your sanitation methods so you can quit the Nature 2 unit and start diluting the possible stain source.

In th mean time, if you keep your ph lower, eg 7.2ish, it may help the stains lighten.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.