Waiting for my TF-100

testit

Aug 1, 2016
High Desert S.Calif.
While waiting for my test kit. i used test strips to get TH. reading then multiplied that number times 2/3.
to get an estimate of my CH. Don't know if this is correct? but tried it.
I did the lower PH. and add acid for two days. and aerate.
My #'s today:
FC-3
TC-3
PH 7.5
TA-90
CH-90
CYA-40
Been holding these numbers for two days now.
Am I looking at fantasy numbers because of my method for reaching the CH. level?
The pool looks sparkly and clean. Should I just keep the free chlorine up in range until the test kit arrives on 8/9/16?
Thank You in advance..This looks like a really simple routine once I get my initial numbers in check.

While waiting for my test kit. i used test strips to get TH. reading then multiplied that number times 2/3.
to get an estimate of my CH. Don't know if this is correct? but tried it.
I did the lower PH. and add acid for two days. and aerate.
My #'s today:
FC-3
TC-3
PH 7.5
TA-90
CH-90
CYA-40
Been holding these numbers for two days now.
Am I looking at fantasy numbers because of my method for reaching the CH. level?
The pool looks sparkly and clean. Should I just keep the Ch up in range until the test kit arrives on 8/9/16?
Thank You in advance..This looks like a really simple routine once I get my initial numbers in check.

Welcome!

You thought very proactively ordering the kit. When you were saying CH did you actually mean FC? CH is usually not much of concern especially for vinyl pools and I'd leave it alone based on the number posted. It's anyone's guess what reality is.

You mean Total Hardness, correct? If so, it really doesn't make too much difference if you just leave it alone. That is a VERY low number.....is your pool filled through a water softener?

Thank you for the welcome.
Yes. That meant to say "Should I keep the free chlorine in range"
And yes total hardness..but that could be a fantasy number based on (a test strip) I got my total hardness and multiplied that X 2/3. To get my calcium hardness.
When the test kit comes in I will let you know real numbers.
So my question is ...Just keep my free chlorine in range until the test kit comes in?

Thank you for the welcome.
Yes. That meant to say "Should I keep the free chlorine in range"
And yes total hardness..but that could be a fantasy number based on (a test strip) I got my total hardness and multiplied that X 2/3.
When the test kit comes in I will let you know real numbers.
So my question is ...Just keep my free chlorine in range until the test kit comes in?

your very estimated dose of daily liquid chlorine should be around 16 oz based on 5400 gal pool size which would compensate 2 ppm daily loss. This is as much as I can guess. If your daily doze is significantly lower I'd increase it as it is better to be over than under.

Test kit came in. New numbers:
free chlorine=9.0
total chlorine=1.0
ph.=7.8
total alkalinity=90
calcium hardness=260 (a little high?)
cya.=30
According to pool math. I will add just 25 ounces of liquid acid? And let the free chlorine drop naturally?
Thank's for looking at my numbers and any input.

Total chlorine should be the total of Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine (chloramines.) If by tc you really meant CC, then keep your FC levels high to eliminate the organics that it is chewing on. You may be looking at a slam soon. You want cc to be >.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test kit came in. New numbers:
free chlorine=9.0
total chlorine=1.0
ph.=7.8
total alkalinity=90
calcium hardness=260 (a little high?)
cya.=30
According to pool math. I will add just 25 ounces of liquid acid? And let the free chlorine drop naturally?
Thank's for looking at my numbers and any input.

I entered your numbers into PoolMath and to drop pH from 7.8 to 7.4 for your pool volume 5400 gal and TA = 90 you need only 6.9 oz of 31.4 % MA.

Yes, let FC drop naturally, don't add any more chlorine. Your target level should be FC=4

Since you now have the kit you should try to measure FC overnight loss- test FC after sunset and then without adding any chlorine check FC next morning before the Sun hits the pool. The decrease in FC should be less than 1 ppm overnight. Please make sure there no chlorine sources in the pool during the test - no tabs, SWG or anything else. Pool must hold FC on its own overnight .

Ok, in pool math under ph. it's telling me to add 2.5 ounces of 31% acid.to bring ph down a bit.
then, under cya it's telling me to add 19 ounces liquid stabilizer.(31% muratic acid correct?)to bring cya up a bit.
for a combined total of 21.5 ounces of muratic @ 31%. am I reading that correctly?

Ok, in pool math under ph. it's telling me to add 2.5 ounces of 31% acid.to bring ph down a bit.
then, under cya it's telling me to add 19 ounces liquid stabilizer.(31% muratic acid correct?)to bring cya up a bit.
for a combined total of 21.5 ounces of muratic @ 31%. am I reading that correctly?

No, CYA is completely different compound from MA, you cannot add their amounts together. 'Liquid stabilizer' is just one form CYA is sold in, it can also be in solid form. It is used to increase CYA level in water.

MA is liquid with 31.xx% max concentration used to lower pH

It's been 2 weeks getting numbers straight.
8/17/16 8/22/16 8/23/16 8/24/16@4pm.
fc=4.5 fc=3 fc=3 fc=3.5 target 5
cc=.5 cc=o cc=0 cc=0 target 0
ph=7.8 ph=7.8 ph=7.7 ph=7.5 target 7.5
ta=90 ta=80 ta=80 ta=80 target 80-90 less than 120?
ch=240 ch=260 ch=240 ch=220
cya=10 cya=40 cya=40 cya=40 target 40
I am using pool math and i think it all looks good except my free chlorine level is not coming up to where it should be according to pool math? when i add prescribed amount.
i did the overnight chlorine test and only lost 1 ppm free chlorine.
p.s. sorry for the jumbled mess.I will do my columns different next time.
am i missing something?
DISREGARD SEE REPLY BELOW

Unfortunately it's too confusing for me on a phone. List one day straight down, then the next.

working on these numbers for 2 weeks. after slaming:
8/17
fc=4.5
cc=.5
ph=7.8
ta=90
ch=240
cya=0

8/22
fc=3
cc=0
ph=7.8
ta=80
ch=260
cya=40

8/23
fc=3
cc=0
ph=7.7
ta=80
ch=260
cya=40

8/24
fc=3.5
cc=0
ph=7.5
ta=80
ch=220 don/t know why its dropping?
cya=40
i am using pool math and all looks good i think. except the free chlorine does not come up to spec when i add suggested amount from pool math? am i missing something? i did the overnight chlorine loss test and lost less than 1ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.