Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with SLAM please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with SLAM please

I'm currently SLAMing pool due to high CC.

I know that when FC is over 10 that my pH readings will be inaccurately high. My pH levels were OK before I started SLAMing. However, I also know my pH increases fairly quickly...and probably even faster as I SLAM it since there is more aeration as I brush the pool more frequently etc. So even though I can't rely on the pH reading, I know that enough days have passed, that I would need to put in some MA (based on my past experience with the pool). I'd like to put a small amount of MA in now to work on the pH and then fine tune when the SLAM is over and chlorine has fallen below 10. My question, will the high chlorine levels cause the MA not to work? In other words will I Just be wasting product (or doing harm)?

Thanks!
    -20'x30'x40' lagoon shaped IG vinyl pool (Nov 2013); 27,500 gallons
    -SWG , Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump , DE Filter, Pentair Mastertemp Pool Heater.
    -Municipal water as fill (high pH of 8+)
    -No pool cover and TigerShark vacuum. TFT100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with SLAM please

It won't effect how MA works, but if you're really concerned that your pH may be rising fast just because of past history, then you can let the FC fall below 10 just long enough to confirm so you can dose the MA accurately. Then increase back to SLAM level once you're done.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you keep track of you levels and what you put in? If so, I would add what you normally add.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks! I do have a general idea of the amount I'm likely to need after this amount of time...so I'll put that in and then get a better measure when the chlorine comes down (I finished the SLAM so it should be in a day or two.) Having a pH level that is too low is NEVER a problem for me with with my pool.
    -20'x30'x40' lagoon shaped IG vinyl pool (Nov 2013); 27,500 gallons
    -SWG , Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump , DE Filter, Pentair Mastertemp Pool Heater.
    -Municipal water as fill (high pH of 8+)
    -No pool cover and TigerShark vacuum. TFT100