Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old Stain from Tool Rusting

1. Back To Top    #1

Old Stain from Tool Rusting

We've got these 3 stains on the bottom of our liner which look like a very large alan wrench was left in the pool for a while. This is our second summer in our new-to-us pool. We've only ever used the TFP method to take care of our sparkling oasis with never any problems. The previous owner... not so much.

I don't believe this stain is from anything other than the tool rusting there. (Last summer I found the tool that fits this very pattern in the bushes.) I'm not sure what to do with it. Leave it? Try some vitamin C?

Any suggestions?

Pool Stain.jpg
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Old Stain from Tool Rusting

Yes, Vit C should take care of it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

That looks more like a tire iron to me. I'd check to make sure there aren't any holes around those rust stains, in case it was thrown in the pool and punctured as it landed.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You can get Vitamin C at the local dollar store. Crush a few of them and put the powder in a sock. Hold it on the stain for a few minutes. Check to see if it's having the desired effect.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

After the pump is off, put a small handful of Vitamin C pills right on the stain and leave it overnight. Those rust stains can take several hours to fade.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Awesome!
    Definitely no leak - it has been like this for 2 seasons now (that I know of).
    Will pick up some Vit C and see where this gets me.

Thank you!
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit