Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the point in closing your inground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the point in closing your inground pool?

I'm thinking of leaving my pool open. I have some friends who leave theirs open year round. But, do you have to keep the pump running daily, like in the summer? And, keep the chemicals balanced in the same way? Is the point of covering just to not maintain it? As you probably guessed, this is my first experience with a pool.
    18,"x 36",IG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Aqua plus with remote, Jandy cartridge filter, polaris 280, Hiram, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the point in closing your inground pool?

I've always kept mine open year round and maintain proper balance.

In the winter months I only run the pump on saturday for a few hours and vac any debris on the floor.
    That's about it for off season.

Chlorine usage is much lower during that time as well.

For some it could be a concern if they are in constant freezing climate though there
    is freeze protection on some pumps.

Mostly though it seems like it would be one less thing to deal with for those that close each winter.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine stays open. I switch to bleach for chlorine when the water temporarily drops below 70. As mentioned, FC usage is very low when the water is cold. Pump runs a few hours a day to skim.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on the climate and the area you live in.
    I live in The Netherlands, and my backyard has very high level of groundwater. Closing (and emptying) my pool would result in serious risk of groundwater pushing between the concrete wall and the liner. Our winters are not extremley long and col, so keeping the water in motion should be enough to prevent the water from freezing.
    As soon as the outside temperature reach 2 degrees celcius I let my pump kick in until it reaches about 3 or 4 degrees.

I was told that below 15 degrees celcius, algae can't live so when the water is below 15 I stop maintaining chlorine level (or any chemistry level at all).
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

5. Back To Top    #5

I just moved to CT (heading into my first winter here, ugh). I imagine keeping mine open isn't an option....unless the pump is running 24/7, freezing would be a big risk. Maybe even with it running......
    27,000g, 9' IG; Freeform Concrete; Hayward 1hp SuperPump; Hayward Sand Filter S244T

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the point in closing your inground pool?

We keep ours open. Slow the pump down. Run it less. Vacuum less etc. we do watch chemicals still As mentioned by others not much required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

7. Back To Top    #7

I close mine. Now when it's midnight in January and there is an ice storm and the power is threatening to go out, I sleep like a baby. Also I don't have to make any bleach runs from October through May and don't have a pump using electricity every day. The water change I get from lowering a foot or so is helpful as well. I did leave it open one year, and have a freeze protect circuit installed.
    20K gallon vinyl pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Here in southern Arizona we don't know what you mean by "close the pool" ...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm with joyfulnoise on this. Here in Houston, we could throw the heater on for a few hours and be swimming in November or December. Spa is always fun as well. We built a bigger spa for the kids for that reason. It really irritates my in laws in Connecticut and Massachusetts when we send them pictures of us swimming in December.
    16,500 gallon in-ground pool and spa with Quartzscapes Midnight-blue and pretty sparkles
    Aqualink RS with PDA
    Jandy Pro Series Plus HP 2 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by downtfish View Post
    I'm with joyfulnoise on this. Here in Houston, we could throw the heater on for a few hours and be swimming in November or December. Spa is always fun as well. We built a bigger spa for the kids for that reason. It really irritates my in laws in Connecticut and Massachusetts when we send them pictures of us swimming in December.
    My brother "has to visit" his in-laws in St Louis every Christmas (you know who makes that decision ). Last year I texted him a picture of all of us sitting in the spa with Santa hats on with the text "Wishing You 'Warm' Xmas Greetings!".... he texted me back with the middle-finger emoji. Hehehehe
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

I never close the pool. Once it gets too cold, November ish, I run the pump an hour a day with the Polaris. The chorine demand drops to a cup every few days....
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm ready to start slowing down my pool pump. I live in GA and it is around 83 everyday now and the pool is about 70 degrees. Could I go ahead and start running my pump less time. I run it for 8 hours a day now which is what I was running it in the summer months. Do you just trend down the time you run it or wait until it gets really cold. It does get freezing and below here. But, usually in Jan./Feb. By March it starts getting warm again. I have some sort of freeze protection on my pump. But, I guess I need to read up on that. I don't know if it is automatic or not. (first time pool owner).
    18,"x 36",IG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Aqua plus with remote, Jandy cartridge filter, polaris 280, Hiram, GA

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

PennyPat- I haven't closed my pool since moving in. Nor do I plan too. What you plan to do sounds just right. I don't have the freeze protection thing on my pump, though, so I do it myself if I hear about a cold night.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm kind of with C3Cl3N3O3. I don't want to worry about power outages and freezing temps from ice storms or something of that nature. I've been without power for several days due to an ice storm before.

So at some point this year, I'm going to half close my pool. I will winterize my plumbing and pump/filter, and plug all lines. But I'm going to leave the pool uncovered. I covered it last year, and I'd just prefer not to if I don't need to. I have no trees to dump leaves in it, and our safety fence keeps most debris out. If anything does get in it I'll vacuum it with a leaf vacuum that uses the garden hose for power.

My water is 65 and already using quite a bit less chlorine. I'm hoping it'll soon be using so little I'll hardly ever have to add chlorine.

20,000 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

15. Back To Top    #15

I would hazard to guess that most folks in the more southern climates don't close their pools. I dont close mine.
    I would say you're on the right track. If the temps get down close to freezing, just make sure your pump is running and you'll be fine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!