Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Timer - Too Easy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bristol, CT

Pump Timer - Too Easy?

I inherited a pool when I bought my a quick rundown from the previous owner, but nothing in-depth.

My pump is plugged directly into an in-ground outlet with an on/off switch. It's been running 24/7 since I moved in and I'm pretty sure that's how it ran previous to me taking over. I'm considering putting it on a timer. Would any simple outlet timer (a la christmas lights) work? Or - do the fancy wired timers have some other requirements I'm overlooking? Thanks!
    27,000g, 9' IG; Freeform Concrete; Hayward 1hp SuperPump; Hayward Sand Filter S244T

2. Back To Top    #2

San Marcos, CA

Re: Pump Timer - Too Easy?

Your pump uses a lot more power than christmas lights, so you'd want something a lot more robust. I used mechanical timers like Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch - Intermatic Timer -, which is great for handling a pump running on 220 VAC. I suspect yours is wired for 220 VAC, but if it's 110 there are similar timers geared to that.

If you're interested in electronic automated control you have a lot of options as well. My company makes an 885 controller board that, when coupled with a large relay, is perfect for your application. Before I switched to a variable speed pump I had a single speed like you have, and the 885 board gave me all the control options I needed as well as inputs for temperature, pressure, atmospheric conditions, etc. If you're interested in learning more about that, shoot me a PM and we can take it off line.

Anyway, the quick simple option is the mechanical timer in the link, but there's a world of other options open to you as well. Good luck!
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs