How Long Do You Run Your Pump?

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
I have an above ground pool and have been running the pump non stop and noticed it big time in my elec bill this month --(about $120 higher!)

Curious--when do you turn off your pump?

I usually add my bleach in the morning so i might just start turning off before I go to bed.

Any automatic filter switches out there?

I bought an auto timer for my AGP.. I only run 4-5 hours a day usually at night. Not sure if its any cheaper that way but my pump turns over 3000 gph in a 13500 pool so... 3000 x 5 hours= 15000 gallons turned over per day...more than the capacity of the pool.
Knowing that info about your pool should give you a good idea on how much to run it per day.

I've got a VS pump and run it 24/7, but most of the time it's at 950 RPM drawing about 100 watts. I've got it running at higher RPM's for a couple select times during the day, once for four hours pulling just thru the weir and another time at high RPM for two hours running the vacuum. Still playing with the balance, but this seems to be working well so far.

As for the auto switch, Intermatic makes a mechanical timer that is pretty standard issue. See Amazon.com : Intermatic T104P3 208-277 Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch : Watering Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden for an example. My company makes an electronic control board that I used with a large relay to control the single speed pump I used to have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.