Hello from New Hampshire

Aug 4, 2016
Nashua
Hi, I am brand new to TFP and never heard of it before and wish I knew this long ago. I have a 40 X 20 (33000 Gallons) In ground pool with Sand filter. I am interested in learning from experts like you on 1. how to defeat the algae 2. Where to get most of the chemicals and water testing kits that is mentioned in this forum. Thanks and looking forward to enjoy being an owner of swimming pool rather than feeling why do I have a large pool.
Sam S

Welcome to TFP!

I buy my TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Been buying it there for years.

Here is a handy page on pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I buy bleach at the grocery store, store brand, muriatic acid and CYA/stabilizer at Lowe's.

Update your sig to tell us if the pool is plaster, vinyl or fiberglass. And how are you chlorinating your pool?

Good reading here,
SLAM Process, this is how we kill algae
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry intro to pool chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Welcome! You and I share pool specs for the most part! I also have a 20x40 w/ sand filter! Mine doesn't have as many gallons as yours (28000) but otherwise....

We got you covered for what you need! How about a starter picture for us so we can see what you see! If I need to convince you that TFP works... Here's a before and after for me.

First day I took cover off after previous owners didn't open for 2 years...
059271ab207d09270d26a57fa33d65f7.jpg

Turned ugly quickly
84a811f41a5ee7ba86268b2caacfd2ab.jpg

And after digging in for a bit to clear it, the payoff... (Don't mind the bottom, it needed a good vacuuming that day but that's one of the only pics I have of it once it got clear... I can snap a current pic of it running clean and strong today hopefully)
7d5194953ffbf05bdcbc7f2099b2370c.jpg

Read up on PoolSchool and get to know your chemicals. I opted to buy the TF-100 XL for the extra reagents while SLAMMING the pool.

I am already getting excited for the responses that is pouring in for me. This is the current status of my pool with couple of pictures. It used to be excellent and I am using the chlorination regularly but I think something went wrong and it take longer time to correct it.
IMG_6155.jpgIMG_6156.jpg

Well good thing is I can see the bottom, but there does appear to be a greenish hue to the water. Lots of shade around the pool! That could be to your advantage for preventing chlorine but off by the sun. No worries! We can help you through it!

Can you help us understand your maintenance you do on the pool currently? Do you test regularly (daily/weekly)? Do you brush and vacuum? What chemicals or chlorination do you use on the pool (liquid chlorine, tabs, etc)

I don't do any tests other than when I open the pool and in between in the past. But after joining this forum I understand that it is not good thing and I will start doing the tests. I already ordered TF-100 Test kits just a few minutes ago. I use a Robot to clean the pool and I just clean the robot. It has been pretty good for the last 18 months but this is the first time I am facing the Greenish Algae killing me. I also use vaccum when needed. Other than Chlorine I dont use any other chemicals. I am planning to just go get some Clorox bleach and other suggestions listed above today

Great! Until you get your test kit, it is typically recommended that you still put a jug of bleach/chlorine in a day to help keep the algae at a standstill. Then once you get your test kit, give us a full rundown of the tests for pH, FC (free chlorine), CC (combined chlorine), TA (total alkalinity), CH (calcium hardness... Not as big a deal with vinyl pools), and CYA (cyaneuric acid).

Then we can get you setup with PoolMath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to get your SLAM going!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support