Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why with 10 higher than with 25 and how does CH decline?

1. Back To Top    #1

why with 10 higher than with 25 and how does CH decline?

CH is now tending low so I will start adding in increments but two questions please

1) If I test with 10ml sample I get 275, with 25ml sample I get 230. I guess the difference is not really relevant since both are kinda low but why the difference? Or is this really no difference?

2) A month ago with 10ml sample I got 325. Maybe this difference is really no difference but say it is. How might CH decline save by splash out (which I have little) and replace with water with low CH?

Testing with TF-100
    FC 4.5
    pH 7.6
    TA 90
    CYA 30-40
    CH in well water used to replace evaporation is 90 or 100.
    Splash out essentially none.
    Pool is not leaking.
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why with 10 higher than with 25 and how does CH decline?

Is your pool plaster or vinyl?

CH only goes down with splash out, drain or overflow. Or rain. Or if the pool is scaling and depositing calcium scale on the pool walls. What is your CSI in PoolMath? Has your oh or TA been higher in the past?

More detailed testing instructions here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: why with 10 higher than with 25 and how does CH decline?

ah yes, winter / spring rains
    went back in the pool diary and found I add Ca every season after winter / spring rains and the back wash to restore the level (pool is not closed in the winter)
    interesting, will expect it next year
    thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.