Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side water leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side water leak

I feel dumb for asking, but is this possible or common? Here's the background.

I've noticed water loss all summer long. There was a pretty big crack near the skimmer - which I had patched. But the water loss is still there. I did a bucket test and it quickly confirmed I was losing significant amount of water while the pump was running. And there was a small amount of air bubbles in my pump when it was running. When I turned the pump off for about 24 hours - no water loss.

I turned the Jandy valve for one skimmer off today. Surprise, surprise - no water loss (24 hours and running). Fortunately, this is the skimmer closest to my equipment pad.

But everything I read about suction side leaks deals with air leaks. I don't see any water leaks above ground but I'm going to dig just below the surface near my equipment pad to see if there's anything noteworthy. Any other thoughts on where else to check before bringing in some hired help?

Thanks!
    22,000 gallon kidney shape IG, attached raised spa, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 hp for pool, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 hp and 1 hp for waterfalls, Pentair FNS Plus DE 60 filter, heater, Silencer air blower 1.5 hp for spa jets, Pentair MiniMax plus heater, Booster pump for Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side water leak

More water loss with the pump on generally points to a return side leak, not a suction side leak ... so the isolation of turning the skimmer off and not losing water with the pump on is puzzling to me.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That's what I'm thinking too.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

coincidence? may be it was leaking to waste all this time?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Whew, glad I'm not the only one. I am gonna see what happens the next two days with the skimmer off. Usually I will see significant water loss after that amount of time.