New build- Frisco Texas. Little yard little pool

Jul 13, 2016
Frisco tx
Hello! I've been waiting for the day I could start my very own build post after following so many others.
We talked with several pool builders but have made a decision. But I am ready for all your advice and expertise because my husband and I are both completely new to this.

First, the design!
Before anyone is like "why is that not in the middle of your yard" I specifically asked for it to be off to one side so that we could walk out the French doors of our bedroom to the pool, and also, so that the line of site from our kitchen would be the green yard space, and so we could preserve what little amount of yard we can for our daughter and dog to play.
e772eae174f6ed6f0221f1f12052780d.jpg
86a648285f68ad2ffe1fc879282a5722.jpg
182cfdf2517882599c69d83b4782d36a.jpg
21ae03e5348c687174eb0812111c139d.jpg

*also the pictures don't show but there are two benches

371sq. ft.
27'x15'5"
3.5' to 5' to 4' depths

Now for the stuff I don't understand:
-Jandy 2.0HP variable speed pump
-Jandy high-flow commercial grade cartridge filter
-Polaris 280 with dedicated 3/4 HP booster pump
-rainbow 320 in line chlorinator
-Jandy ozone system
-Jandy iaqualink computer with iPhone interface
-Jandy never lube pool valves

-3 20w LV LED lights
-crystal pebble finish
-paver decking

That's all the pertinent info. Tell me what you think. What you'd change. What I should consider. All advice very welcomed and appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I *love* that your pool sits majestically as you show... I think just plopping it down in the middle can be artless and not very pleasing. And you preserve more play space this way. Good move!

Now... as to equipment and details.... consider going 4'-5'-4.5'. That 3.5 foot section is just too dang low and you need to clarify if that is the pool wall height or the water height??

Next... lose the oxone thingamabob. Waste of money as you still need chlorine so why buy it too?? Consider a stenner pump to provide measured doses of liquid chlorine each day or a SWG. I don't know anyone who doesn't love the ease of the SWG.

Yippee :flower: (the opinionated one in the crowd)

So everyone says this about the ozone system, and I asked one of the other pool builders, and he said I must have been referring to the UV ozone systems. He said the UV ozone systems are a waste because the sun, like everyone here says. But then he claimed this was a non-UV system... Just Ozone. ???
I like the idea of less chemicals. But if that won't actually help then I agree I should just go the classic route.

I was originally interested in the SWCG but some friends mentioned that they weren't happy with it and when it broke down it was more expensive to repair than just getting a whole new chlorine system so they just converted back to the old school chlorine system.
I know that's only one review, but I was able to see what the pool builders talk about in terms of the salt eroding things. So. I don't know. I think we are going with regular chlorine. But I do wish I could understand this ozone thing more. I think I'll do some more research. I definitely value your expertise and it seems everyone agrees they're a waste so I just want to dig into that a bit more.

So everyone says this about the ozone system, and I asked one of the other pool builders, and he said I must have been referring to the UV ozone systems. He said the UV ozone systems are a waste because the sun, like everyone here says. But then he claimed this was a non-UV system... Just Ozone. ???
I like the idea of less chemicals. But if that won't actually help then I agree I should just go the classic route.

I was originally interested in the SWCG but some friends mentioned that they weren't happy with it and when it broke down it was more expensive to repair than just getting a whole new chlorine system so they just converted back to the old school chlorine system.
I know that's only one review, but I was able to see what the pool builders talk about in terms of the salt eroding things. So. I don't know. I think we are going with regular chlorine. But I do wish I could understand this ozone thing more. I think I'll do some more research. I definitely value your expertise and it seems everyone agrees they're a waste so I just want to dig into that a bit more.

Hauk will do SWCG no problem FYI. That is the route I chose from the research from this site. Just need to keep up with uptake and seal the flagstone ($150 bucks every 2 years to self apply).

Ok... here's how ozone works. Water runs over the surface of it sort of like over a light. *That* water gets cleaner but then you still have a bazillion other gallons of water in the pool *not* in contact with the ozone device. And *that* water can still be contaminated and pass on bacteria, viruses and other cooties to people in the pool. You know, that neighbor with the little herpes outbreak under his shorts... well... I want some chlorine between him and me! So since you have to use chlorine anyway....why buy yet another device that only cleans up small amounts of water at a time?

Capisce?

Yippee :flower: (A Nurse with 'tude about cooties)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Skip the ozone. I have a friend in Frisco - 2 year old pool - some sort of ozone and mineral contraption and when I was over he mentioned that he is getting a little algae in the hot tub even though his chlorine levels were fine. I gently mentioned 2 years ago that this was not a good path but the pool folks convinced him otherwise.

Your pool looks great, I am amazed at the nice designs that can go into a small yard (like yours and my friends) and how great they turn out.

Oh, and if you have not been to that place called Hard 8 BBQ, do yourself a favor and go this weekend.

It is Hauk, we worked with Peter Jackson. We were really impressed with how many aspects he considered when making the design compared to others who gave us kind of a generic feeling design.

We ended up gong with Robertson Pools, but had spoken many times with Peter at Hauk. He's a really great guy and we liked him a lot. Good luck!

I have an ozone system as a supplement to my chlorine system and it allows us to run the pool at much lower chlorine levels that without which is what we wanted. We've had the pool for 3 months and it's beautiful. We have a lot of stone and didn't want to deal with the erosion issues from a salt system.

I have an ozone system as a supplement to my chlorine system and it allows us to run the pool at much lower chlorine levels that without which is what we wanted. We've had the pool for 3 months and it's beautiful. We have a lot of stone and didn't want to deal with the erosion issues from a salt system.

Very touchy subject on TFP, why? I have no idea. I would guess people don't like to hear that they wasted money and were "had" by PBs, who will take the path of least resistance and most profitable. Ask them to break it down for you when they come back from their annual incentive vacation from the manufacturer.

This is nearly word for word what most TX PBs will tell you. I am sure someone will come along to dispute this that knows much more than I do. The funny thing is I have asked PBs if they were building their own pool what would they do... probably 50-50 Salt or just regular Chlorine system. 0 said Ozone. Take it for what it's worth.

Ozone does very little to sanitize the pool when it is on and nothing to sanitize the pool when it is off.

I am in season 5 with salt and OK flagstone with no visible erosion attributable to salt to my flagstone or my pool deck. I do have some flagstone with some pretty significant erosion but it isn't near my pool. Stone that is going to erode will do so with or without saltwater near it. More info in my build thread, link in sig.

More here on UV and Ozone, Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

Wow, very nice design. I too live in Frisco and am about to make my PB decision this weekend. Our designs are very similar. My pool will be about 25x15. I am trying to preserve my side yard for my pups. I have been documenting every step of the process and look forward to starting my official build log on here.

As far as your design, my research has also informed me to nix the ozone. Everything else looks good. I am currently 50/50 on DE filter vs cartridge filter. I'll have to decide this week.

I look forward to following your build. Our pools will grow up together. Good luck.

Texasdeano , yes! I love your design. I'm excited to follow along with you and see our progress side by side.
I like how yours seems like you are able to fence off your yard portion. We've considered that too. But a little harder the way our patio is off to the side where we want the grass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.