Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump won't run on high

1. Back To Top    #1

pump won't run on high

I have a 2 speed Supreme pump, about a year old. If it's on low and the timer kicks on it will run fine. If it's on high when the timer kicks on it will just seize and throw a breaker. If you start it on low and switch it to off and then high on the pump, it runs fine. Where do I start? Wonder if it's under warraranty?

My PB is horrible, so I'd rather start here if possible

thanks
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump won't run on high

I watched a youtube video on cleaning your impeller, he said it should be done weekly?!?!? didn't help
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

There is a chance you have a bad capacitor. Can you give the information off the motor itself ?? Is it a Waterway ??
    I tried looking up a Waterway Supreme Pump but it only gave the motor as a complete replacement and no breakdown of parts.
    POOL PUMPS & PARTS : SUPREME PUMP PARTS - Waterway Parts Pool Supplies
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    I have a 2 speed Supreme pump, about a year old. If it's on low and the timer kicks on it will run fine. If it's on high when the timer kicks on it will just seize and throw a breaker. If you start it on low and switch it to off and then high on the pump, it runs fine. Where do I start? Wonder if it's under warraranty?

My PB is horrible, so I'd rather start here if possible

thanks
    Can you post pic of your pump motor shield/sticker?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it's a Waterway Supreme. Pics attached:

The more I read about how long a pump should last, the madder I get about it. I've read most folks getting 5-7 years out of a new pump. This thing is right at a year old. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to repair it for just replace it. If I were to replace it, is there any brand or model you fine people would suggest? I definitely want to stay with a 2 speed pump, and it is plenty powerful to run all of my water features on high. 95% of the time it runs on low, saving me money and still high enough to keep the SWG happy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    There is a chance you have a bad capacitor. Can you give the information off the motor itself ?? Is it a Waterway ??
    I tried looking up a Waterway Supreme Pump but it only gave the motor as a complete replacement and no breakdown of parts.
    POOL PUMPS & PARTS : SUPREME PUMP PARTS - Waterway Parts Pool Supplies
    You called it. It was a bad capacitor. All fixed.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

That's great, all I need is your CC number and that three digit security number on the back. Or I can just wait for a check in the mail

Glad you're back up and running. Pump issues can be the cause of an ugly green monster is a short period of time.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool guy only charged me a hundred bucks, not bad

Speaking of capacitors, what would have happened over time if that was left un-replaced? I'm assuming eventually the pump wouldn't even work on low?